Forum Discussion

stucky101_88485
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 24, 2013

Adding irules to vip that loop over DGL that are normally empty - ok practise ?

Gurus

I have been doing a lot of work recently utilizing data group lists since they are simply awesome and I'm always trying to separate code from data.

I use them as simple arrays for listing strings or as hashes if I need key=value pairs.

Some examples I use dgl for are:

* Redirect "host" to "host.defaultdomain.com"

* Redirect "host1.defaultdomain.com" to "host.defaultdomain.com/defaultapp" by maintaining a "host1" := /defaultapp" key/value pair.

* Redirect host and/or uri to a new site optionally with fixed uri by maintaining "oldhost.domain.com := newhost.domain.com" and "olduri := newuri" key/value pairs.

* Turn on persistence cookie logging for debugging by adding a cookie name to a string dgl.

The idea is that nobody has to either edit iRules or even change iRule associations with VIPs - only edit data group lists. However, that of course only works if the VIP already

has all the necessary iRules associated with it - whether it's currently needed or not.

Example : log persistence cookies.

I have a dgl called "logged_persistence_cookies" which is usually empty. As standard part of any new HTTP VIP I use cookie persistence and name the persistence cookie uniquely after the app.

If I need to debug a persistence issue or need to know a certain host's stickieness details I simply add this app's persistence cookie's name to this dgl and it starts writing

persistence related info to the log. When done I remove the cookie name from the dgl again. Works perfectly !

My question is this:

The more of these dgl I add the more rules I need to add to every VIP. Most of the time most of the rules wind up doing nothing more than loop over empty data group lists so they effectively

do nothing but burn cpu cycles. Only the few times a year I add something to one of the dgl do they actually perform a useful task.

Is this bad practise ? Is looping over empty dgl cpu intensive ?

I really don't want anyone messing with irules or irule associations. I only want folks to maintain data group lists and it works very well from a functional perspective.

I'm just a bit concerned about all the empty looping going on most of the time.

Thoughts ?

6 Replies

• this is my testing. i am running ve 10.2.4 hf4.

nothing in irule

root@ve10(Active)(tmos) list ltm rule myrule
    ltm rule myrule {
        timing on
    when HTTP_REQUEST {
    }
    }
    root@ve10(Active)(tmos) show ltm rule myrule

Ltm::Rule Event: myrule:HTTP_REQUEST
    ------------------------------------
    Priority                   500
    Executions
      Total                  10.0K
      Failures                   0
      Aborts                     0
    CPU Cycles on Executing
      Average                 3.3K
      Maximum                74.5K
      Minimum                 2.0K

empty data group

root@ve10(Active)(tmos) list ltm data-group logged_persistence_cookies
    ltm data-group logged_persistence_cookies {
        type string
    }
    ltm rule myrule {
        timing on
    when HTTP_REQUEST {
      foreach elm [class names logged_persistence_cookies] {
        if { [HTTP::cookie exists $elm] } {
           do something
           log local0. [HTTP::cookie $elm]
        }
      }
    }
    }

Priority                    500
    Executions
      Total                   10.0K
      Failures                    0
      Aborts                      0
    CPU Cycles on Executing
      Average                 13.3K
      Maximum                412.7K
      Minimum                  7.9K

not-empty data group

root@ve10(Active)(tmos) list ltm data-group logged_persistence_cookies
    ltm data-group logged_persistence_cookies {
        records {
            cookie1 { }
            cookie2 { }
            cookie3 { }
            tcookie { }
        }
        type string
    }
    ltm rule myrule {
        timing on
    when HTTP_REQUEST {
      foreach elm [class names logged_persistence_cookies] {
        if { [HTTP::cookie exists $elm] } {
           do something
           log local0. [HTTP::cookie $elm]
        }
      }
    }
    }

Priority                    500
    Executions
      Total                   10.0K
      Failures                    0
      Aborts                      0
    CPU Cycles on Executing
      Average                126.8K
      Maximum                564.1K
      Minimum                 66.2K

• Nitass

Sorry I should have phrased my question better. I'm not looking to eval the performance of the irule itself. Obviously, looping over a dgl with actual content will burn up more cycles than an empty one.

What I'm looking for is the difference on the virtual server side between executing an irule that essentially does nothing but examine a dgl (to find that it's empty) and not executing the irule in the first place.

Most of my vs have the following 5 standard irules:

filter_http_methods

short_to_fqdn_https

filter_ciphers

redirect_uri_https

log_persistence_cookie

check_maintenance

The first 3 rules loop over dgl that always have content. The last 2 irules, however, loop over dgl that are normally empty since on a regular day I don't need to debug persistence nor is the app in maintenance mode.

I'm wondering if this vs would burn significantly less cycles if I removed the last 2 irules. The only stats I can find for a vs are 5sec/1min/5min min load average but that's all 0% so would not see a difference.

I guess the real question is : How many cpu cycles does a virtual server burn when it execs an irule that looks at an empty dgl ?

I assume the actual "looping" process never really starts since the group has nothing to loop over so I'm probably worrying over nothing but I wanted to check anyway.

I'm simply worried that executing an irule alone burns more cpu cycles than I'd like.

I hope this is clearer.

Thx
  • i thought i understood what you were asking. anyway, i got 0% cpu usage ratio on virtual server same as you. that is the reason i used irule timing instead. actually, what i wanted to say is the different between average cpu cycles on execution of nothing in irule and of empty data group case is about 10K (13.3K - 3.3K) in my testing.
  • So in other words my extra 2 irules at the end of each vs cost roughly 20k cycles of overhead per vs.

Question is - is this significant enough to worry.

I'm at about 10% cpu utilisation on this ltm.
  • So in other words my extra 2 irules at the end of each vs cost roughly 20k cycles of overhead per vs. i think you had better re-test on your unit.

Question is - is this significant enough to worry.my cpu clock speed is 2,666,761,000 cycles per second (2666.761 MHz). so, based on irules runtime calculator, it takes 0.000374987% cpu utilization per request.

irule timing: how to convert Cycles to Seconds

https://devcentral.f5.com/community/group/aft/23451/asg/50

irules runtime calculator

https://devcentral.f5.com/downloads/techtips/F5DevCentral_iRulesRuntimeCalculator.zip