Forum Discussion

Tom_Lee_93393
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 11, 2011

Websphere install on F5 LTM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to websphere and had a question in regards to the scenario below. I've already installed the standalone version but now need to install websphere http server and app server in an active/active configuration. This will be for one application. I can follow the attached F5 deployment guide but a little confused from the websphere end. Do I just follow the websphere instructions below as if it a standalone version and then follow the F5 guide? And the version of websphere i'm running, it does not support clusters. Does it matter at this point if i'm using the F5 for load-balancing?

Instance of http server on Machine A and B (F5 pool)

Instance of app server on Machine C and D (F5 pool)

Scenario 3: Install a standalone application server and a Web server on separate machines.

In the typical production environment, the application server on one machine communicates with a Web server on a separate (remote) machine through the Web server plug-in. After creating a profile and installing a dedicated Web server, use the Plug-ins installation wizard to install a plug-in and to update the Web server configuration file. The Web server can then communicate with the application server. Optional firewalls can provide additional security for the application server machine.

Table 3. Installing a standalone application server and a Web server on separate machines.

Complete these steps:

Step Machine Task

1 A Install WebSphere Application ServerNetwork Deployment.

Create an application server profile during the installation.

2 B Install IBM HTTP Server or another supported Web server on Machine B. While installing IBM HTTP Server, use its installation wizard to install the Web server plug-ins.

3 B If you use another supported Web server or an existing installation of IBM HTTP Server, use the Plug-ins installation wizard to install the Web server plug-ins and configure the Web server on Machine B.

The Plug-ins installation wizard creates a configureWeb_server_name script in the plugins_root /bin directory on Machine B.

4 B Copy the configureWeb_server_name script on Machine B to the app_server_root / profile_name /bin directory on Machine A.

5 A Run the configureWeb_server_name script on Machine A to create a Web server definition in the administrative console. You can then use the administrative console to manage the Web server.

6 A Propagate the plugin-cfg.xml file on Machine A from the application server to the Web server using the administrative console.

1. Click Servers > Web servers.

2. On the Web servers page, place a check mark beside the Web server for which you want to propagate a plug-in, and click Propagate Plug-in.

Web servers other than IBM HTTP Server require manual propagation.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to websphere and had a question in regards to the scenario below. I've already installed the standalone version but now need to install websphere http server and app server in an active/active configuration. This will be for one application. I can follow the attached F5 deployment guide but a little confused from the websphere end. Do I just follow the websphere instructions below as if it a standalone version and then follow the F5 guide? And the version of websphere i'm running, it does not support clusters. Does it matter at this point if i'm using the F5 for load-balancing?

• Instance of http server on Machine A and B (F5 pool)
  • Instance of app server on Machine C and D (F5 pool)

Scenario 3: Install a standalone application server and a Web server on separate machines.

In the typical production environment, the application server on one machine communicates with a Web server on a separate (remote) machine through the Web server plug-in. After creating a profile and installing a dedicated Web server, use the Plug-ins installation wizard to install a plug-in and to update the Web server configuration file. The Web server can then communicate with the application server. Optional firewalls can provide additional security for the application server machine.

Table 3. Installing a standalone application server and a Web server on separate machines.

Complete these steps:

Step Machine Task

1 A Install WebSphere Application ServerNetwork Deployment.

Create an application server profile during the installation.

2 B Install IBM HTTP Server or another supported Web server on Machine B. While installing IBM HTTP Server, use its installation wizard to install the Web server plug-ins.

3 B If you use another supported Web server or an existing installation of IBM HTTP Server, use the Plug-ins installation wizard to install the Web server plug-ins and configure the Web server on Machine B.

The Plug-ins installation wizard creates a configureWeb_server_name script in the plugins_root /bin directory on Machine B.

4 B Copy the configureWeb_server_name script on Machine B to the app_server_root / profile_name /bin directory on Machine A.

5 A Run the configureWeb_server_name script on Machine A to create a Web server definition in the administrative console. You can then use the administrative console to manage the Web server.

6 A Propagate the plugin-cfg.xml file on Machine A from the application server to the Web server using the administrative console.

1. Click Servers > Web servers.

2. On the Web servers page, place a check mark beside the Web server for which you want to propagate a plug-in, and click Propagate Plug-in.

Web servers other than IBM HTTP Server require manual propagation.

No RepliesBe the first to reply