Forum Discussion

Thomas_Walker_1
Historic F5 Account
Feb 14, 2005

VB.net help please!?!

OK - I haven't really written anything in VB for a good 6 years, and never VB.net so please excuse my total lack of ability. I'm looking at the sample VB app packaged with the SDK and I can't seem to get past the connection and login to a BIG-IP (at least I think that's what is happening). I have set up the app with my BIG-IPs IP address, port 683 and a correct webGUI username/password and the app will build and execute but when the app tries to call the first sub to pull a value I get an exception and this error: "Additional information: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish secure channel for SSL/TLS." Will you provide a couple clues for reporting or logging entries I can make to report if the login was a success? Even better, could you provide a small example of calling to a BIGIP for a single variable? I'm really somewhat intimidated and a little confused by the volume of calls, references, and such in even the smaller packaged examples i.e. - SystemInfo under /sdk/support/SOAP/DOTNET/VB/console/System (this is the one I've been using). Thanks for any help -

Thom

2 Replies

• Thom, The first issue I see is that you have the port number wrong. The default port number for SSL is 443 and you said you used 683 which is the IIOP[s] port which we used on 4.x for our CORBA portal. The error message indicated this in that it said you couldn't establish an SSL/TLS connection to the specified address:port. The SOAP samples should all be going through port 443.

As for the example on calling the BIG-IP for a single variable, what exactly are you looking for? The LocalLB Pool sample is fairly straight forward in querying either the list of pools, or attributes of a specified pool.

Now, on a side note. If you haven't used VB for a long time, it might be a good time to take a look at C. It's a much more powerful language (IMHO) and much easier to use. Just a thought...

-Joe
  • There's already a VB.Net sample in the SDK in the iControl-9.0\sdk\samples\soap\vb\microsoft\LocalLB\VSStats directory that should give you everything you need for pulling down VIP stats.

-Joe