Forum Discussion

Dennis_Caffi_11
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 18, 2013

Problem adding network interface to VM for Big-IP 11.3

I'm trying to add some interfaces to our Big-IP VM and it isn't going well. When I add the interfaces, we already have 4 defined, we lose access to the configuration GUI and SSH access to the VM. The only way to access the Big-IP is through the console from the Virtual Center GUI. This is a documented problem with running Big-IP under VMware (CR 137616) but the workaround doesn't work for us. It says to run the command "rm /var/db/mcpd*", which we can't from the TMSH shell. Any ideas how to get this thing working would be greatly appreciated.

33 Replies

• No it's not, root account is still enabled once initial setup is done.

But what can be different is the password.

• Can you try to connect you with the root account and use the default password which is : default

About your issue on user creation, are you using partition ?

Because only users created under "Common" partition can have "Advanced shell" access.

Dennis_Caffi_11
      Tried root with default password and what we set it to initially. Received "access denied" message. When creating a user I don't get to set a partition. A current user that has Common as the partition and Administrator role only has either "Disabled" or "tmsh" as Terminal Access choices.
  • Can you try to connect you with the root account and use the default password which is : default

About your issue on user creation, are you using partition ?

Because only users created under "Common" partition can have "Advanced shell" access.

Dennis_Caffi_11
      Tried root with default password and what we set it to initially. Received "access denied" message. When creating a user I don't get to set a partition. A current user that has Common as the partition and Administrator role only has either "Disabled" or "tmsh" as Terminal Access choices.
      Dennis_Caffi_11
      Tried this and it did not work. Booted in single user mode and used the passwd command to change root's password. It says it worked, but after reboot was unable to log in as root.
      Dennis_Caffi_11
      Tried this and it did not work. Booted in single user mode and used the passwd command to change root's password. It says it worked, but after reboot was unable to log in as root.
  • That's why you can't access bash, it's written in your optional modules. TMSH Only, so you haven't got any access to the system with bash.

• That's why you can't access bash, it's written in your optional modules. TMSH Only, so you haven't got any access to the system with bash.

• Here is the secret: When you go to generate the license key, make sure to select everything EXCEPT the option App Mode (TMSH Only, No Root/Bash). If you select this option, the BIG-IP will not allow you to change the root password during the set up utility and will also prevent you from interactively login into the CLI. By not selecting the above option, you will be able to change the root password by going to System >> Platform.

I hope this helps.