PDF with Kanji characters in name breaks WA
We have been trying to use the BigIP with WA to accelerate the delivery of PDF files from SharePoint over the WAN.
After many months of working with F5, they are now saying that the problem is with the Adobe plug-in to Internet Explorer.
The issue is a result of Adobe's (not F5's) handling of the linearization request of PDF’s with the Japanese character set over 300 KB when the Web Accelerator is enabled on the BigIP appliance.
The F5 case number is:
F5 consider this an Adobe issue, not a F5 issue.
We have exhausted our contacts -- supposedly, nobody else stumbled over this Adobe bug yet, which I find hard to believe. I did post in the public Adobe forums about this as well -- not sure I'll get an answer back.