Forum Discussion

Hannes_Rapp
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 16, 2017

Moving FIPS keys from 8900 to 10200

Hello,

According to DOC, it seems likely FIPS-2 keys sync is not possible between 8900 and 10200 due to FIPS hardware difference (no exact platform mention, but it's close enough): https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_ltm/manuals/product/bigip-platform-fips-administration.pdf?sr=32944290

Important: Because of hardware differences, it is not possible to synchronize security domains between the newer platforms(10000/11000/11050 platforms) and older platforms (6900/8900platforms).

• Q: Assuming identical software version and security world configuration - is there an alternate way to move FIPS keys from 8900 to 10200?

Regards,

1 Reply

• My understanding is that the limitation is if you want to have the 2 devices in a HA pair, and having them sync automatically the fips keys.

If you just want to migrate the keys to a new hardware:

1 - Initialize the FIPS card in the new device, with same SO and Domain as the old.

2 - Export the keys in the old device

3 - Import the keys in the new device

You will need to know the SO in the old device.

Let me know if you need the commands, as I have some notes I use every time I need to do some stuff with FIPS (and generally, never works in the first time).