Forum Discussion

Apr 30, 2017

LTM OneConnect Profile for short API http request

We have some client using

API
calls to our servers and they are short live request, these web servers are not browsable they just serve API.

We have notice request rate is very high which i am seeing 900 TLS almost and i have notice our Web (apache) getting timeout sometime because of very high connection rate on webserver on

netstat
i am seeing thousands of
TIME_WAIT
so definitely my server running out of resources even server CPU load is
1%
or
2%

We are thinking to use

OneConnect
Profile but not sure its going to benefit us or not and how? I read about OneConnect profile but i am little confused and need some advice how we should utilize it.

Question:

1. If we use OneConnect does that means it will open only few connection to server right?
  2. We are using
    Auto Map
    SNAT so what will be impact on OneConnect Profile also we are using
    XFF
    feature to extract client IP.
  3. What if we disable
    HTTP 1.1
    on apache webserver which will close connection faster in that case how does OneConnect profile behave?
  4. for test i have enabled oneconnect profile on our Dev LTM and send some http request from multiple but i am seeing its opening individual connect to server and not bundle them in single connection (We are using Mask 0.0.0.0) is that how openconnect works?

2 Replies

JG
    Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus

You have asked your question in two postings, so far as I can see, each containing half of the info of your problem.

I'd say that you should configure OneConnect for the virtual server and also enable HTTP KeepAlive in your Apache. This will enable F5 to re-use existing connections.

JG
    Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus

I would increase the keepalive timeout value to 300s, and have a oneconnect profile configured for the virtual server. See:

K7208: Overview of the OneConnect profile

. OneConnect is one thing that should be used in most cases, but it may skew load balancing a bit.