Forum Discussion

CX_280703
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 07, 2017

Invalid Session ID. Your session may have expired - during kerberos auth

I have an IdP setup that is doing client side kerberos auth before then sending on a SAML token to an SP. I have an intermittant issue were sometimes using the kerberos auth It seems to fail and send me to a logout page with an error

.../my.logout.php3?errorcode=20

Your session could not be established.

The session reference number: 23f22713

Invalid Session ID. Your session may have expired.

In the logs I can see:

Session deleted (security_check).

Sometimes the Kerberos is ok and sometimes not, any ideas where to look for the cause of this?

Thanks

5 Replies

• It seems to help if I change "Max Logon Attempts Allowed" from 1 to 3 in the Kerberos Auth. What does this setting this actually do? and should this help?

• Actually the step above didn't help with the situation. We still see the issue. We also have an NTLM irule looks to be causing the issue. When doing an ECA::Disable for non NTLM requests it seems to intermittently break kerberos!

Also if I set "modify /sys db apm.rotatesessionid value disable" it seems to fix the issue but I don't want to do this as it weakens security.

Anyone have anything to try?

• CX,

did you ever figure this out as I am having the same issue? I have not yet messed with the apm.rotatesessionid value like you mentioned as was seeing if you came up with a better way?

Thanks

• Hi Nolan,

So it came down to 3 things, Kerberos, NTLM and Session Rotation. If I stopped using any one one of these 3 then my problem went away. in the end I needed both Kerberos and NTLM setups and so F5 Support agreed that the only option was to turn off the session rotation. Since that day I never saw the issue again.

Note this was in APM 11.6.2 I have not tested since upgrading to later versions but would be interesting to see if it was resolved.