Forum Discussion

DaveC_21078
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Aug 27, 2009

How can I chab=nge the format of a URL?

I need to be able to search for a URL similar to

http://example.com/adserver/impression/pid=123/oid=860/rand=12345/?click=http://www.publisher.com/track/ad.aspx?click=1&test=2&imp=1

and manipulte it to look like

http://example.com/ad.imp?pid=123&oid=860&rand=12345/?pclk=http://www.publisher.com/track/ad.aspx?click=1&test=2&imp=1

before passing it on. Can I do this with an iRule?

Thanks for looking.

19 Replies

• I appreciate the input, but no change. I've simplified this thing as much as I can, but no joy. It is still passing the original URL. I tired

priority 501

when HTTP_REQUEST {

if { [HTTP::uri] contains "adserver/impression" }{

set uri [HTTP::uri]

scan $uri "adserver/impression/pid=%d/oid=%d/rand=%d" pidnum oidnum randnum

HTTP::uri [string map {"adserver/impression/pid=$pidnum/oid=$oidnum/rand=$randnum/?click" "ad.imp?pid=$pidnum&oid=$oidnum&rand=$randnum/?pclk"} [HTTP::uri]]

}}

and

when HTTP_REQUEST {

set uri [HTTP::uri]

scan $uri "adserver/impression/pid=%d/oid=%d/rand=%d" pidnum oidnum randnum

HTTP::uri [string map {"adserver/impression/pid=$pidnum/oid=$oidnum/rand=$randnum/?click" "ad.imp?pid=$pidnum&oid=$oidnum&rand=$randnum/?pclk"} [HTTP::uri]]

}}
  • String map won't work with variables wrapped in curly braces. So you can either use subst like Joe listed, or remove the curly braces. Also, Citizen's suggestion was to add a second HTTP request event with a priority of 501 so you could see the effect of the change once it is made. And you'll need to include a leading forward slash in the scan pattern or it won't match any URI.

Can you try this and reply with the log output from /var/log/ltm if it doesn't work expected?

when HTTP_REQUEST { 

log local0. "[IP::client_addr]:[TCP::client_port]: New HTTP request to [HTTP::uri]" 

log local0. "[IP::client_addr]:[TCP::client_port]: Matched URI check" 

Scan the URI looking for the pid, oid and rand values 
           if { [scan [HTTP::uri] "/adserver/impression/pid=%d/oid=%d/rand=%d" pid oid rand] == 3 } { 

log local0. "[IP::client_addr]:[TCP::client_port]: Scanned three values: pid = $pid, oid = $oid, rand = $rand" 
              HTTP::uri [string map "adserver/impression/pid=$pid/oid=$oid/rand=$rand/?click ad.imp?pid=$pid&oid=$oid&rand=$rand/?pclk" [HTTP::uri]] 
           } 
        } 
     } 
     when HTTP_REQUEST priority 501 { 
        log local0. "[IP::client_addr]:[TCP::client_port]: 501: Updated URI: [HTTP::uri]" 
     } 

Aaron
  • Aaron,

Thanks for the reply. Output of /var/log/ltm below after copying your text to the irule, ads.imp.

Sep 1 07:37:11 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: 501: Updated URI: /adserver/impression/pid=4/oid=3/rand=%5Btimestamp%5D/?click=

Sep 1 07:37:12 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: New HTTP request to /adserver/impression/pid=4/oid=3/rand=%5Btimestamp%5D/?click=

Sep 1 07:37:12 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: Matched URI check

Sep 1 07:37:12 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: 501: Updated URI: /adserver/impression/pid=4/oid=3/rand=%5Btimestamp%5D/?click=

Sep 1 07:37:13 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: New HTTP request to /adserver/impression/pid=4/oid=3/rand=%5Btimestamp%5D/?click=

Sep 1 07:37:13 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: Matched URI check

Sep 1 07:37:13 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: 501: Updated URI: /adserver/impression/pid=4/oid=3/rand=%5Btimestamp%5D/?click=

Sep 1 07:37:14 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: New HTTP request to /adserver/impression/pid=4/oid=3/rand=%5Btimestamp%5D/?click=

Sep 1 07:37:14 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: Matched URI check

Sep 1 07:37:14 tmm tmm[1128]: Rule ads.imp : 172.16.102.231:1158: 501: Updated URI: /adserver/impression/pid=4/oid=3/rand=%5Btimestamp%5D/?click=

• Aaron,

It's working. My url was the problem, it had "rand=%5Btimestamp%5D", which the IF statement apparently didn't like. I changed it to a and then the IF starement worked. The only problem I have now is that the iRule replaces the "?" after ad.imp with a space. Otherwise, the new URI looks perfect.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave
  • Hi Dave,

Glad to see you're making progress. Can you post the updated iRule and logs which show the new issue?

Thanks,

Aaron
  • Aaron,

Iit's the same iRule with the same results that I sent you earlier. The URL I was using to test was the problem. The If staement was failing because it didn't like "rand=%5Btimestamp%5D". The URL is below. I changed the URL to rand=5 and it works fine. The space I saw ad.imp was from IIS, not the BigIP. Is there a way to alter the rule to get it to accept and rewrite the URI with that string, which we are going to see occasionally?

adserver/impression/pid=4/oid=3/rand=%5Btimestamp%5D/?click=

Dave
  • The scan command is expecting a (set of) digit characters. So you could change the scan to match any character which is not a / instead:

if { [scan [HTTP::uri] "/adserver/impression/pid=%s/oid=%s/rand=%s" pid oid rand] == 3 } {  

to:

if { [scan [HTTP::uri] {/adserver/impression/pid=%[^/]/oid=%[^/]/rand=%[^/]} pid oid rand] == 3 } {  

Note the use of curly braces to prevent the [ ]'s from being interpreted as TCL commands.

Aaron
  • Aaron,

You are the Man! This works perfectly. I tried replacing the %d with %s, but that failed completely, I assume because of lack of white space.

I really appreciate all your work and instruction.

Dave
  • Glad to see you got it working. Thanks to cmbhatt, Joe and Citizen as well for their suggestions.

Aaron