Forum Discussion

Willda71_98408
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 14, 2012

F5 LTM with IIS Webservers and FTP servers

Hi there,

I am very new to F5 technologies so wanted to ensure I got this right about the capabilities of the F5 LTM.

So, I have 2 local separated networks with one environment in each. What I need is to do is to facilitate the ability to transfer files between the environments. In 1 environment I will place either an FTP server (IIS 7.5) or just a web-server (IIS 7.5 using WebDav) that can be accessed by both environments. Each network will have its own perimeter firewall and I want to place a big-ip ltm 6900 solution between both firewalls for the following reasons:

1. As a full proxy solution. (What I mean here is that when info is being accessed by one environment the request will go via the ltm and then the ltm will forward the request, acting as the broker)

2. If I decide to us SSL I can use the LTM as the offload.

3. If I am using FTP or WebDav -can this be cached by the LTM?

4. Both the environments have their own isolated windows AD, can the LTM use radius or something back to one particular AD. I'm not sure if i would need this though as i don't want to implement a trust between the AD's, all the users have accounts in both ADs anyway and this could be cached by the browser for ease of use.

Thanks

1 Reply

Helen_Johnson_1
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi Willda,

Thanks for reaching out. I'll do my best to answer here, but you might benefit from having one of our system engineers do a whiteboard session with you to make sure this is a feasible solution.

1. This is technically possible. It may look a bit different than our typical solution, but it is possible to do.

2. Are you using SSL offload for other applications?

3. What are you looking to cache on the LTM? Are you wanting to cache frequently accessed objects, files?

4. The LTM can be configured to use AD. In fact, if you want to do some more fancy authentication, use the Access Policy Manager to handle Single Sign On functionality.

I hope that helps--please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Helen