Forum Discussion

Jan_Vavrek_3476
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 09, 2019

Console connection between Avocent and F5

Hello,

I'm having issues accessing F5(3900) from Avocent console server(5008).

I checked all the default values (baudrate parity and so on) and all are configured correctly. The baudrate is set to default value of 19200 on Avocent & I've also double-checked the f5 with "tmsh show sys console" and also in AOM.

This is not a new build up, it is a recabling of console connection to "new" console server.

The issue is that once I pick the F5 from the ts_menu and authenticate myself with the password the session is stuck. (No Rx bytes)

Is it possible that the console port on F5 got stuck after re-cabling ? Is there a way to check it via webui and/or cli ?

• Hi Jan,

I've had it happen back in the day where the AOM or SCCP serial connection wouldn't work after a while. Since you've verified all the settings, I'd try resetting it and see if it comes back. This command might work on that platform depending on software version:

ipmiutil reset -k

You might be able to just do an "ssh aom" from the CLI depending on version as well and reset it from there. If not, you might have to reboot or power off/unplug the whole device to get the AOM to reset.

--D

Jan_Vavrek_3476
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Hello Dave, thank you for the answer, however it will take a while for me to verify this due to processes I have to follow..

Can you please clarify what exactly happens with the ipmiutil reset -k command and/or why is better then regular reboot?

BR, Jan

• Hi Jan,

You don't specifically mention this in your original post, but my experience is that when connecting older F5 platforms with DB9 serial console ports to an Avocent console server, be sure that "use Cisco RJ45 pin outs" is disabled on the Avocent port configuration.

For newer F5 platforms with RJ45 serial console ports, be sure that "use Cisco RJ45 pin outs" is enabled.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis