Forum Discussion

Hamza2
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 26, 2024

check add route default in f5 with mode ip forward node server to internet behind ltm f5

hello everyone,

I was a question for the IP forward mode , the config in the capture Bellow with snat:

my test scenario like this:

server node : 172.16.10.47

self externe: 192.168.25.10

self interne : 172.16.10.200

This scenario does not work for internet ping test from the node server 172.16.10.47 to the internet but without a default route to the checkpoint interface gateway 192.168.25.254 , Could you please confirm that adding the route default to the checkpoint interface gateway 192.168.25.254 Is correct for my action and that the test is working.

2 Replies

• Hello Hamza, keep in mind that F5 is a default-deny device so anything that doesn't strictly match your forwarders will be denied. 

One issue i see with your configuration is that this routing VIP is configured to listen on all VLANs. This means that "inbound" traffic will be nat-ed with the same IP as well. I believe this isn't intended, so you might consider tuning the "vlan and tunnel traffic" config and restricting it only to the internal 172.16.10.x VLAN, and/or any other VLAN that requires outbound connectivity. 

Other than that, of course you're going to need to configure a default route on the unit, so that F5 knows where to forward all traffic that isn't intended for local networks. 

Hamza2
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

thank you for your reply, I will modify the internal vlan for the policy forward