Forum Discussion

Pavel_70776
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 02, 2012

Balancing SMPP traffic based on recipient address

Hello,

we have an application sending SMS via SMPP and we need to balance the SMS messages based on recipient address to 2 different SMS Centres. SMS with recipient address starting 420 should go to SMSC1 and the rest of SMS's should go to SMSC2. Note that application creates one TCP session and throught this session sends multiple SMS, one SMS is in one TCP packet or more SMS can be placed in one TCP packet.

Thanks

36 Replies

• Is that normal that i'm never going into the rewrite block? 8* { rewrite seq if { [info exists s_seq_map($seq)] } { set old_seq [lindex $s_seq_map($seq) 0] TCP::payload replace 12 4 [binary format I $s_seq_idx] set addr [lindex $s_seq_map($seq) 1] set port [lindex $s_seq_map($seq) 2] use pool or node command pool [LB::server pool] member $addr $port unset s_seq_map($seq) } }

Neither: 0* { rewrite seq TCP::payload replace 12 4 [binary format I $s_seq_idx] set s_seq_map($s_seq_idx) "$seq [IP::remote_addr] [TCP::remote_port]" incr s_seq_idx }

Nat_Thirasuttakorn
      Icon for Employee rankEmployee
      Those rewrite routines are only used when servers (in this case, I believe it is smsc) originate request back to client (through LTM). since there are multiple members in the pool which may send request to the same client, iRule will rewrite sequence number to prevent sequence number conflict. it may be normal if the server never originate any request. this usually depends on type of bind.
  • Hi, I am new to Big-F5, I see that many threads in the message heading about SMPP talk about load balancing support based on SMPP protocol.

we have problem in hand to route the SMPP PDU based on the "system_id" parameter. I some one can help sharing the iLOG configuration, I would appreciate it.

SMPP Protoco:: The system_id parameter is used to identify an ESME or an SMSC at bind time.

• Hello everyone, i have a similar request. Requests are to hit load balancer ip, to two smpp firewalls to the SMSC.

Requests are to hit the loadbalancer each time before getting to any of the smpp firewalls. Which means the loadbalancer is hit thrice.

Is there any irule to ensure that once requests hit the loadbalancer, binds are formed with two or three smpp backend servers

Joko_Yuliantor3
    Historic F5 Account

Hi Kazeem, It is possible to do bind over multiple SMPP backend server and keep them open. This is the concept of MBLB in the previous TMOS version or MRF in the newer TMOS version. However, it is better to do it one by one instead of opening bind all the same time. The iRule above written by Nat (natty76) should do the trick. Try that first and see what the road block.

kazeem_yusuf1

Hello Joko, Thanks for your prompt reply.NATTY76 on this thread, explained that adding enquire_link to TCP::payload under CLIENT_DATA,it will help to trigger bind replay .

How can this be configured.

ALSO, FOR MY SCENARIO, THERE ARE two separate smpp firewalls/filters, before requests hit the actual SMSC, my current scenari,is to have three separate load balancer instances before final request hits the SMSC.

This is my current irule for the first instance,

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED { set s_seq_idx 1 set first_bind_resp 1 set mm1 10.199.254.37%5 set mm2 10.199.254.38%5 set mm3 10.199.254.39%5 TCP::collect } when CLIENT_DATA { while { [TCP::payload length] >= 16 } { binary scan [TCP::payload] IH8IIa* len oper status seq p if { [TCP::payload length] < $len } { TCP::collect $len return } switch -glob $oper { 00000002 - 00000009 { set bind_message [TCP::payload $len] } 00000004 { submit_sm set p [string range $p [expr [string first \x00 $p]+1] end] binary scan $p cca* ston snpi p set p [string range $p [expr [string first \x00 $p]+1] end] binary scan $p ccA* dton dnpi p set dest [getfield $p \x00 1] if { $dest starts_with 420 } { use pool or node command pool [LB::server pool] member $mm3 9000 } else { pool [LB::server pool] member $mm1 9000 } elseif { pool [LB::server pool] member $mm2 9000 } } 8* { rewrite seq if { [info exists s_seq_map($seq)] } { set old_seq [lindex $s_seq_map($seq) 0] TCP::payload replace 12 4 [binary format I $s_seq_idx] set addr [lindex $s_seq_map($seq) 1] set port [lindex $s_seq_map($seq) 2] use pool or node command pool [LB::server pool] member $addr $port unset s_seq_map($seq) } } } TCP::release $len TCP::notify request } TCP::collect } when SERVER_CONNECTED { if { $first_bind_resp } { TCP::collect } else { TCP::collect -all TCP::respond $bind_message } } when SERVER_DATA { while { [TCP::payload length] >= 16 } { binary scan [TCP::payload] IH8II len oper status seq if { [TCP::payload length] < $len } { TCP::collect $len return } switch -glob $oper { 0* { rewrite seq TCP::payload replace 12 4 [binary format I $s_seq_idx] set s_seq_map($s_seq_idx) "$seq [IP::remote_addr] [TCP::remote_port]" incr s_seq_idx } 80000002 { bind response if { $first_bind_resp } { set first_bind_resp 0 } else { TCP::payload replace 0 [TCP::payload length] "" set len 0 } } } TCP::release $len TCP::notify response } TCP::collect }

kazeem_yusuf1

Hi Joko, How do i add the mrf profile to the virtual server.

kazeem_yusuf1

Hello Joko, Thanks for the heads up, the smpp binds hit the 1st smpp firewall, when the request is to be forwarded to the second F5 ip, it returns an invalid system id field.

How can a system id be included inside an SMPP VIP

My topology involves an ESME, two smpp firewalls which communicate via separate F5 vip's To the SMSC.

So, my topology looks like this.

ESME>>>1ST F5 VIP

1ST F5 VIP forwards t0 1st smpp firewalls.

1st smpp firewalls are configured to forward to second f5 VIP.

1ST SMPP FW>>>>>2ND F5 VIP

2nd F5 VIP load balances to 2nd smpp firewalls.

2nd f5 vip>>>2nd smpp firewalls.

2nd smpp firewalls are configured to forward to third f5 vip.

2nd smpp firewalls >>>>> third f5 vip.

third f5 vip load balances to SMSC.

3rd f5 vip>>>SMSC.

The irule used is listed in comment. The bind tranceiver message hits the 1st smpp firewall, and fails on hitting the second F5 VIP, as the second F5 VIP doesn't have the SYSTEM ID parameter configured.

How do i configure the system ID on the 2nd and third F5 VIP's.

Joko_Yuliantor3
    Historic F5 Account

Dear Kazeem,

Honestly, I totally forgot the SMPP spec as my last encounter with SMPP is on 2013. So, I can't help much further about the system ID.

I am more interested in the architecture. I am not sure why there are multiple firewalls with F5 in between. Anyhow, I believe the iRule should be placed in the 3rd VIP instead of the 1st. It should be plain TCP LB in 1st VIP and 2nd VIP. The 3rd VIP should be the one talking SMPP to the SMPP server and doing the MBLB.

Cheers,

-joko

kazeem_yusuf1

Thank you Joko, however, i don't understand what you mean by TCP LOAD BALANCING.

Can you please explain or give example of TCP load balancing to a pool of servers

Joko_Yuliantor3
      Historic F5 Account

TCP load balancing means that F5 conduct load-balancing per TCP connection. Once the TCP connection is established to the server-side, the packet from the client will always use that connection to F5 and landed in the same server all the time until the connection is closed. An example would be a VS with standard type and TCP protocol selected, that is TCP LB. It works well for HTTP because short-lived but it does not work well with long-lived connection such as SMPP or DIAMETER. That is the reason on message-based load balancing (MBLB).

kazeem_yusuf1

Hello Joko, Your suggestion on TCP load balancing worked!!!!!!!!!!!

I however added mblb profile on cli to the two initial F5 VIP'S. I have noticed something however, the smpp submit_sm works for so long, then after sometime, stops working.

If i however bypass, the 3rd F5 VIP (which has SMSC as pool member) and send submit_sm directly to SMSC, i don't get a timeout.

What do you think could be responsible?.

This is the irule on the 3rd VIP.

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED { set s_seq_idx 1 set first_bind_resp 1 set sms_m1 10.206.140.172%5 set sms_m2 10.206.140.173%5 TCP::collect } when CLIENT_DATA { while { [TCP::payload length] >= 16 } { binary scan [TCP::payload] IH8IIa* len oper status seq p if { [TCP::payload length] < $len } { TCP::collect $len return } switch -glob $oper { 00000002 - 00000009 { set bind_message [TCP::payload $len] } 00000004 { submit_sm set p [string range $p [expr [string first \x00 $p]+1] end] binary scan $p cca* ston snpi p set p [string range $p [expr [string first \x00 $p]+1] end] binary scan $p ccA* dton dnpi p set dest [getfield $p \x00 1] if { $dest starts_with 420 } { use pool or node command pool [LB::server pool] member $sms_m2 10000 } else { pool [LB::server pool] member $sms_m1 10000 } } 8* { rewrite seq if { [info exists s_seq_map($seq)] } { set old_seq [lindex $s_seq_map($seq) 0] TCP::payload replace 12 4 [binary format I $old_seq] set addr [lindex $s_seq_map($seq) 1] set port [lindex $s_seq_map($seq) 2] use pool or node command pool [LB::server pool] member $addr $port unset s_seq_map($seq) } } } TCP::release $len TCP::notify request } TCP::collect } when SERVER_CONNECTED { if { $first_bind_resp } { TCP::collect } else { TCP::collect -all TCP::respond $bind_message } } when SERVER_DATA { while { [TCP::payload length] >= 16 } { binary scan [TCP::payload] IH8II len oper status seq if { [TCP::payload length] < $len } { TCP::collect $len return } switch -glob $oper { 0* { rewrite seq TCP::payload replace 12 4 [binary format I $s_seq_idx] set s_seq_map($s_seq_idx) "$seq [IP::remote_addr] [TCP::remote_port]" incr s_seq_idx } 80000002 { bind response if { $first_bind_resp } { set first_bind_resp 0 } else { TCP::payload replace 0 [TCP::payload length] "" set len 0 } } } TCP::release $len TCP::notify response } TCP::collect }

• Hi

What does "TCP::collect -all" do?

I can't find the '-all' flag anywhere in documentation

• Hello etrust,

Maybe they are like...

Available qualifiers:

" + " Pass, an IP that matches a mechanism with this qualifier will pass.

" - " Fail, an IP that matches a mechanism with this qualifier will fail.

" ~ " SoftFail, an IP that matches a mechanism with this qualifier will soft fail.

" ? " Neutral, an IP that matches a mechanism with this qualifier will neither pass or fail.

But for sure, someone from the F5 team should confirm or deny this assumption.

• Need same load balancing but persist with mobile no. dont need specific mobile no. to go on single server.

Any help?