Forum Discussion

Branden_Visser_
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Aug 27, 2009

Adding classes through Web Console

Hello,

I've added a class using bigpipe commands in the web console. The help command in the class says that the class should be added to profile_base.conf, and moved to bigip.conf if it's modified? I'm not 100% sure what that means.

Aside from that, I've created the class:

[usr@f5lb1:Active] config  b class ecomm_allowed_ips show  
 CLASS ecomm_allowed_ips  
 |        TYPE ip   4 items  

through the web console. I'm not sure if this has persisted to configuration or if it's just sitting in memory to be wiped out the next time config is loaded. I checked both local_base.conf and bigip.conf and they don't contain the class.

Is there a way I need to "save" this class to file?

Thanks,

Branden

edit: Fixed my code tags.

4 Replies

• Hi Branden,

You can list the class contents using 'b class CLASS_NAME list'. Classes are shared configuration (synced between units using 'b config sync'. Shared configuration is typically stored in the bigip.conf file--whereas the base config (non-shared) is stored in the bigip_base.conf.

When you make a change with the b/bigpipe/tmsh utilities, the change is made to the configuration running in memory. To save changes made to the high level running configuration in memory to file, you can run 'b save'. For base configuration changes, you can run 'b base save'. To force a save of everything, you can use 'b save all'.

Aaron
  • Thanks a lot Aaron, that's very helpful.

What save method would you recommend for adding an internal class that is relevant to only one iRule in one VirtualHost? Would 'b save' suffice? I apologise, I'm not very well versed with the role of these different configurations.

Best,

Branden
  • Sorry, the simple answer to your query is you can use 'b save' to save the change(s) you've made to the class definition to the bigip.conf configuration file. Afterwards, the changes will be persisted through restarts of the daemons or reboots.

Aaron