Forum Discussion

Rob_78395
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 03, 2012

Proxy All Traffic

Hi Folks,

I am using one virtual server to redirect traffic for a number of websites. Here is the iRule list I'm using:

when HTTP_REQUEST {

if { [set newpool [class match -value [HTTP::host] equals host-data-group ]] ne ""}

{ pool $newpool }

}

The pools are named the same as the website (www.example.com) so the one virtual server knows where to send the HTTP Request. - (thanks to What Lies Beneath for that!!)

My question is: How can I extend this functionality to all types of traffic and not just HTTP requests? ftp, ssh,etc?

Thanks!

Rob

4 Replies

• Is your question theoritical or practical?

What FTP services do you have, and what problems or needs do you have there that you think the F5 could help you with ?

Or SSH services?

Thanks,

Mohamed.
  • Rob,

We don't have a nice variable like HTTP::host to inspect for non-HTTP traffic so this will be pretty difficult I'm afraid.You might be able to inspect the incoming payload for FTP and load balance that accordingly but I doubt it's possible with SSH.
  • Thanks Steve! Too bad about the limitations. The only thing I can control is the DNS to proxy traffic to me and I was hoping I could use F5 to proxy more than just web.

Would the iRules be similar for HTTPS as they are for HTTP?

Thanks again - Rob
  • Would the iRules be similar for HTTPS as they are for HTTP?yes but clientssl profile is also required because bigip needs to decrypt ssl to see content e.g. http header.