Forum Discussion

Ty_John
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 26, 2020

Programatically configure SAML attributes using an iRule

I have a requirement to send user "roles" based on AD group membership and add these roles as multiple values to a single SAML attribute.

Currently we have all roles in a single string separated by a "|" and put into a session variable which is then applied to a SAML attribute but we need to split the roles out to be applied as multiple values of the same attribute. I need to know if it's possible to manipulate SAML attributes in an iRule. I couldn't find anything in the docs.

4 Replies

• I know I can use 'ACCESS::saml assertion' to send a completely custom assertion but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Have a look at the attached screen shot for what I mean by multiple values. You are able to add multiple values to a single attribute so the resulting assertion will look something like the snippet below. So rather than adding a delimited string to a single value I want to split it out to multiple values but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that programmatically.

I hope that makes sense.

<saml2:AttributeStatement>
    	<saml2:Attribute xmlns:saml2="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:assertion" Name="portalRole" NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:unspecified">
    		<saml2:AttributeValue xmlns:saml2="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:assertion">SM1</saml2:AttributeValue>
    		<saml2:AttributeValue xmlns:saml2="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:assertion">SM2</saml2:AttributeValue>
    	</saml2:Attribute>
    </saml2:AttributeStatement>
      Ty_John
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Never mind. I just realised that separating by "|" actually does produce multiple values. I must have been having some other issue causing it to not work under certain use cases.

Nolan_Jensen
        Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus

Ty_John,

Can you provide me a screen shot of how you were able to use | to seperate multiple saml attributes?  I have tried to do so many times in the place you have in your screen shot but will not seperate them like it says it should.

Thanks