Forum Discussion

Girma_Tefera
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
May 08, 2023
Solved

Placing BIG-IP DNS in front of a Pool of DNS Servers

The F5 DNS server was positioned in front of a pool of Microsoft DNS servers. If the record is wideip, F5 DNS will answer to the query; else, the inquiry will be forwarded to Microsoft DNS server. Be...
    May 13, 2023

Dear Ben_Novak and Nikoolayy1;

Thank you for your kind and helpful support.

I found the answer to this problem. The problem was When I use nslookup for wideip test.demo.local, it will append the domain suffix to nslookup, which means it will ask for test.demo.local.demo.local on my client workstation (10.1.75.72) domain joined PC, which indicates it is under the domain of demo.local. Now that F5 has determined that this is a non-wideip query, it will forward the request to Microsoft DNS, making the initial two or three nslookups unsuccessful. It will eventually try without adding a domain suffix, and F5 will respond with test.demo.local because it is a wideip query.

To resolve this problem Since the domain is included by default, I tried the nslookup without adding it and discovered that the result was as I had anticipated. For more information, see the link below.

https://serverfault.com/questions/74067/windows-appending-domain-suffix-to-all-lookups