Forum Discussion

Linh_Nguyen_107
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 12, 2009

monitor second tier app servers

Hello,

Running BIG-IP 3400 9.4.4 Build 64.

I have a requirement to set up F5 to monitor the backend app servers along with the Pool of webservers tier. The monitoring require that if both webservers members of the pool not listen on port 80 or port 443 then mark the webserver pool down. It also require that if both backend app servers not listening on port 7000 then F5 should mark the webserver pool to down.

So to solve this monitoring requirement without utilizing the external monitor scripting technique, I decided to leverage the Pool level monitor and the "Member Specific" level montior setting as permitted by BigIP. I configured two TCP ports monitor to perform health check on the web servers port 80 and 443 and bind these two monitors as "member specific" at the member properties level. Next, I created two additional monitors of type TCP for the backend app servers. Each of these monitor is configured to perform TCP port check against the IP address and Port of the remote backend app servers that is a few network hops away. These monitors are binded to Pool properties level.

The problem that I encountered with this set up is that these remote app servers monitors did not run and gave out a false positive status. The Pool status shown as up even thought both of the backend app servers are down.

Am I setting this monitoring correctly? If someone have a running set up to meet the monitoring requirement stated above, any help would be appreciated.

No RepliesBe the first to reply