Forum Discussion

tolinrome_13817
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 18, 2014

load balancing citrix servers

I use an iApp for citirx and in the xml pool there are quite a few servers, but since some applications arent being published on every server in the pool and the load balancing is least connections I'm not sure if this is the best scenario for clients. Reason being is that if 2 nodes have acertain app only and there are 15 servers in the pool then the client connection has to go through all the other servers to get back to the 2 he really needs? Any ideas or am I not understanding this correctly?

2 Replies

Hamish
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus

It shouldn't matter which XenApp servers host the applications. As long as it's just one Citrix cluster, the XMLBrokers will serve the request for them.

The sequence is that the client makes an XML request to the XMLBroker. Which then responds with the information telling the client which XenApp server to connect to. the client then connects directly to the XenApp server and doesn't need to talk to the XMLBroker any more.

[The XMLbrokers are literally just that. Brokers. The XenApp servers tell the broker which apps they're willing to serve and the Broker tells the clients that. And then when you start an app, the client says to the broker - Start me Up - the broker then 'arranges' the running of the app and returns the information as to where it is running]

H

• Hamish, Thanks for the clear explanation, but What I have a hard time figuring out is that in my production Citrix environment some apps come up no problem through the Web Interface. But in my test environment (routed to the same back end Citrix production farm), I'm using the F5 to proxy, only some apps come up. Others start to initiate to launch and then say "Unable to launch your application. Contact your helpdesk with the following information: Cannot connect to the Citrix XenApp server. Network issues are preventing your connection. Please try again. If the problem persists, please call your helpdesk".