Forum Discussion

Network_Team1
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 10, 2019

iControl REST - filtering by anything other than partition

Hello,

I'm trying to use the iControl REST API to communicate with the F5s. There's a "$filter" parameter that can be passed along with GET requests, but the only examples I've seen use that to filter the partition - I would like to filter on more than that (a different field, such as "destination", for example).

Is this possible? The F5 always complains when I try.

Thanks for any help in advance!

4 Replies

• Looks like the $filter parameter only supports partition. The "About query parameter" section of iControl REST API User ​Guide states:

$filter: Specifies an administrative partition to query for a result set. This parameter filters the result set by partition name and does not fully implement the corresponding $filter OData query parameter. The asm module fully implements the OData query parameter.

• Okay, thank you! That's quite disappointing that there's no native way to filter the API results. It can take quite a long time to return all the objects for a given endpoint!

• One option is to run a script on the BIG-IP box via iControl REST, and retrieve the result after it completes. If the tasks are mostly tmsh related, a tmsh script might be good. You can execute a tmsh script like this:

curl -sku $PASS https://$HOST/mgmt/tm/cli/script/sat.tcl \
      -X POST -H "Content-type: application/JSON" \
      -d '{"command":"run"}'

where sat.tcl is the script.

• A sample tmsh script that writes configuration information of all the ltm virtuals to /tmp/sat.txt.

proc script::run {} {
        set fd [open "/tmp/sat.txt" "w+"]
        set virtuals [tmsh::get_config ltm virtual]
        puts $fd $virtuals
        close $fd
    }

See also TMSH Configuration & Status Commands.