Forum Discussion

strummer5150_88
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 08, 2010

HTTP Response Code Generated by idle timeout?

Howdy All, I have a question that is baffling the powers that be over here. We have an application that can't handle the RST to be sent upon reaching the specified idle timeout values. What it can handle, however, is an HTTP response code. Does anybody know of a way to have the LTM generate an HTTP response code when either the idel timeout or tcp timout value is exceeded? Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

B

4 Replies

• Hi,

So you'd like to have LTM send the client an HTTP response if the server doesn't respond before the idle timeout expires?

In v10 or higher, you could potentially use the after command (Click here) with a timer set just lower than the TCP profile idle timeout (retrieved using PROFILE::tcp idle_timeout Click here) to check for connections that are just about to be timed out. You could then use HTTP::respond (Click here) to send an HTTP response to the client.

I'm not sure how efficient this would be though. So try testing it on a dev unit first.

Aaron
  • Hi, thanks for the quick and accurate response. Unfortunately we're stuck on 9.4.7 until further notice. What would be ideal, although not easily achieved, is for the LTM to somehow send an HTTP response code (400) in lieu of a RST upon reaping either the idle connection. Do you know if this is even possible with what we have to work with.

Thanks again!

B
  • Not that I can think of...

If a connection hasn't been opened to the server, you could try doing something from the LB_FAILED event. But if the issue here is that the connection to the server is made, but no HTTP response is received, I don't think there is a way to send the client an HTTP response instead of a TCP reset/close when the idle timeout expires.

Aaron
  • Exactly what we thought, however, always worth a shot to engage those who may know better. Thanks again for your answers as always and have a good one!

B