Forum Discussion

TsukiAzuma
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Dec 13, 2022

How to tuning policy WAF F5 for Command Execution

I have a problem with policy WAF F5

WAF F5 block request when method is POST and payload have "vi" character

But user login, request will block because method POST and "vi" character (in language: vi-en of request)

What can I do to tuning policy for WAF F5 don't block that request

8 Replies

• you can add the language header in the header allow list and disable the signature triggering the vi - command violation only to this header name.

TsukiAzuma

Thank you for your advice

But in request contain many "vi" character. It look like:

POST /login HTTP/1.1\r\nConnection: upgrade\r\nHost: xxx\r\nX-Real-IP: xxx\r\nX-Forwarded-For: xxx, xxx\r\nX-Nginx-Proxy: true\r\nContent-Length: 675\r\ncache-control: max-age=0\r\nupgrade-insecure-requests: 1\r\norigin: xxx\r\ncontent-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\nuser-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 12; vi-vn; CPH2043 Build/SP1A.210812.016) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.88 Mobile Safari/537.36 HeyTapBrowser/45.9.0.1\r\naccept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8,application/signed-exchange;v=b3;q=0.9\r\nsec-fetch-site: same-origin\r\nsec-fetch-mode: navigate\r\nsec-fetch-user: ?1\r\nsec-fetch-dest: document\r\nreferer: xxx?type=cn\r\naccept-encoding: gzip, deflate, br\r\naccept-language: vi-VN,vi;q=0.9,en-US;q=0.8,en;q=0.7\r\ncookie: xxx

TsukiAzuma

It mean that ?
      violations="Illegal meta character in value,Attack signature detected",support_id="6258108010622842152",request_status="blocked",response_code="0",ip_client="xxx",route_domain="0",method="POST",protocol="HTTPS",query_string="",x_forwarded_for_header_value="xxx, xxx",sig_ids="200003086",sig_names="%22vi%22 execution attempt",date_time="2022-12-07 15:32:38",severity="Error",attack_type="Abuse of Functionality,Command Execution",geo_location="N/A",ip_address_intelligence="N/A",username="N/A",session_id="d080b92a930b4a2",src_port="xxx",dest_port="xxx",dest_ip="xxx",sub_violations="",virus_name="N/A",violation_rating="2",websocket_direction="N/A",websocket_message_type="N/A",device_id="N/A",staged_sig_ids="",staged_sig_names="",blocking_exception_reason="N/A",captcha_result="not_received",uri="/login"

• Hi TsukiAzuma , 

Try to define the impacted url and its parameters as an explicit entity in allowed urls , after that allow the attack signature that blocks your requests to this url and the same thing with meta characters under this url parameter ,  allow the meta character that blocks you when this request come to F5.

I will send some snapshot from my lab will help : 
        1- Create explicit url " /login " with POST method : 

> get the attack signature ID  and search in " Global security policy setting bar " by this ID and drag it from Right table to Left , by this way you allowed this attack signature under this url only. 

2- After that create your parameters that come with this url , in " POST " data and allow the meta character , you can do this by selecting Url Parameters TAB in the last snap shot and proceed : 

> After doing that , your Request shoudn’t be blocked. 
        > Note , I do not know what are your parameters under this requested url , you should know them and able to add this impacted parameter such as last snap shot. 

> Read this Article Carefully , it will show you more : 
        https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K64208044

I hope this helps you. 
        Regards