Forum Discussion

andy220_332493
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 19, 2018

How to do basic setup virtual F5 appliance

Dear Gents,

I have found F5 iso images to setup own IDE enviroment in virtual machine under vmware here.

link text

Once I start virtual machine I am getting some shell and there is no configuration. Can anybody advise some good reference how to do basic setup such as OaM IP, subnet, default route in order to my F5 virtual machine start and I could open traditional GUI for F5 configuration?

Secondly is enough just setup one virtual machine without high availability, OSPF stuffs in middle etc? Basically I need my F5 IDE just to play with features (for instance loadbalancing to some DNS Linux servers behind, APM, ASM, DNS,LTM and its configuration, no failover testing etc.) Just I need setup my own F5 IDE for learing purposes. Any advice would be highly welcomed. Kindest regards, Andy

1 Reply

• You can use the

config
    when you're in the console, this will start a little process to configure management networking.

https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K13369

Once you have GUI access, you can provision the modules (LTM ASM etc) HA isn't necessary to get a feeling for how the various modules work.

Although if you plan on learning GTM/DNS having two devices will be necessary