Forum Discussion

JLeMoal
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Oct 26, 2015

Health monitor automatization

Hi,

I'm looking for a method to simplify the gestion of Health Monitors. I read articles about built in health Monitor, External Monitors, etc ... but I don't find something which fills my need, so here there are : Still it seems to be quite simple. I'd like to create a HTTP health check (on a pool) which sends a GET for a supervision page of my application to my members. Classic. But I don't want to write the uri. I'd like it to be retrieve from the health check name. Is this possible to do it with a built in Health Check ? Or do I have to use external monitor (I'm sure I can do something with that even if I haven't found what yet) ?

Hope I'm clear. Thanks for your help, Julien

9 Replies

• Just to be clear.

The name of the health check is the context_root, that's why it fits the http::uri

• Can you clarify? Are you saying you want to create an HTTP health monitor that uses the health monitor (object) name as the URI in the request?

• Yes Kevin, that's it !

I don't want to write the uri in the "Send String field" like I do today. I'd like to use the health monitor object name instead in a build-in Health monitor if it's possible

• I don't believe that's possible. You could certainly automate the creation of an HTTP health monitor via TMSH, giving it a name and send string value simultaneously

tmsh create ltm monitor http test-monitor send /test-monitor...

but you can't dynamically pull the object name into an active monitor request. Is there a specific reason you need to do this?

• I have a health monitor by application (and I have a lot of them). So I was looking for a way to save some time (my collegues use the GUI to configure the BigIP).

With a parent profile already created, I thought it would have been great to create a new health monitor with the only name to fill (and the parent profile to choose).

I think it's possible with external monitor but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

• Do you advise External monitor for this kind of need ?

• Do you advise External monitor for this kind of need ?

The thing is, if you need to rapidly create HTTP health monitors, or even go back and change the Send URL to equal the object name, you can do that with TMSH. I don't know that an external monitor is going to buy you anything. You're going to have to create those separate monitors anyway, so adding a custom Send string via the TMSH command is an extra automated step.