Forum Discussion

pstavr
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Nov 02, 2021
Solved

F5 Client filtering based on cisco switch port info

Hi

I was wondering if its possible to do switch port filtering on a LAN-hosted F5 virtual server that has an APM profile and the clients are using the BigIP Edge Client for gather client information. I know that F5 supports LLDP for example, but I am not sure if that can be used to filter out clients if they are not connected to a specific switch or a specific switch port. Any ideas please?

Thank you in advance for any info!

• i dont see a direct / easy solution. that information is layer 2 limited between the switch and the connected device.

you could look into switch RADIUS MAC auth and collect the switchport info like that and perhaps combine that. but that will be tricky.

else you need a script which look ups IPs, goes to MAC and switchport. but that is already quite out of regular APM flow.

2 Replies

• i dont see a direct / easy solution. that information is layer 2 limited between the switch and the connected device.

you could look into switch RADIUS MAC auth and collect the switchport info like that and perhaps combine that. but that will be tricky.

else you need a script which look ups IPs, goes to MAC and switchport. but that is already quite out of regular APM flow.