Forum Discussion

Mark_Canup_6238
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 18, 2005

Deleting a virtual server doesn't delete the virtual address

I have a .NET application that is adding/removing virtual servers, pools, and profiles from a BigIP 9.x load balancer.

If I create a new virtual server using LocalLB.VirtualServer.create() or through the GUI using an IP address I haven't used before, the IP gets added to the virtual address list that you can see in the GUI or when you call LocalLB.VirtualAddress.get_list().

If I delete the virtual server using LocalLB.VirtualServer.delete_virtual_server() or through the GUI, the virtual server goes away but the virtual address remains.

I don't see an API call or anything in the GUI that would allow me to remove the address from the virtual address list. Is it that once the address is plumbed it can't be unplumbed until a reboot of the device happens?

Thanks...

2 Replies

Loc_Pham_101863
    Historic F5 Account
    What release of BIG-IP are you using?

You're right that iControl doesn't currently have an API to explicitly delete the virtual addresses, however, the virtual addresses should get deleted when the virtual servers go away.

The GUI also added a Delete button in the Virtual Address List page in 9.0.3 to allow explicit deletion of virtual addresses, but as I mentioned above, it shouldn't be necessary as the VAs should get deleted automatically when the VSes go away.

Loc
  • Hi, we've got 9.0.2 Build 49.1 installed. We were planning on upgrading anyway, so sounds like this is another reason.

Thanks...