Forum Discussion

Bob_Vance_75936
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Jul 30, 2010

Client cert auth and irule formatting

Hello,

I am new to irules and I'm having trouble entering in this irule via the bigpipe shell. It's the only access I currently have at the moment. Am I formatting the irule incorrectly or using incorrect punctuation?

Here is the irule I am trying to use:

rule Client_Cert_Auth {

when CLIENTSSL_CLIENTCERT {

set CN "www.foo.com"

set OU "OU"

set O "Organization"

set L "Locale"

set S "State"

set C "Country"

set I "Issuer"

set issuer_dn [X509::issuer [SSL::cert 0]]

set subject_dn [X509::subject [SSL::cert 0]]

set ssl_errstr [X509::verify_cert_error_string [SSL::verify_result]]

log "Client Certificate Received: $subject_dn"

if {($ssl_errstr eq "ok") and ($subject_dn matches $CN) and ($subject_dn matches $OU) and ($subject_dn matches $O) and ($subject_dn matches $L) and ($subject_dn matches $S) and ($subject_dn matches $C) and ($issuer_dn matches $I)} {

log "Client Certificate Accepted: $subject_dn"

log "ssl_errstr value is: $ssl_errstr"

pool vip-10.1.1.1_80

} else {

log "Client Certificate Rejected: $subject_dn"

reject

} } }

Here is the output when I try and create it. I don't get very far.

bp>rule Client_Cert_Auth {

>>>when CLIENTSSL_CLIENTCERT {

>>>set CN "www.foo.com"

BIGpipe parsing error: 012e0021:3: The requested attribute (set CN) for 'rule' is invalid.

Here is the version I am running:

Kernel:

Linux 2.4.21-9.4.6.401.0smp

Package:

BIG-IP Version 9.4.6 401.0 Final Edition

Thanks for any help!

5 Replies

• I was able to get access to the config utility and enter in the irule that way. However, I receive back the following error:

01070151:3: Rule [Client_Cert_Auth] error:

line 13: [parse error: PARSE syntax 503 {syntax error in expression "($ssl_errstr eq "ok") and ($subject_dn matches $CN) and ($su...": looking for close parenthesis}] [{($ssl_errstr eq "ok") and ($subject_dn matches $CN) and ($subject_dn matches $OU) and ($subject_dn matches $O) and ($subject_dn matches $L) and ($subject_dn matches $S) and ($subject_dn matches $C) and ($issuer_dn matches $I)}]

line 22: [command is not valid in the current scope] [}]

The line 13 error seems to be looking for an additional }?

The line 22 error seemed to be an extra }
  • Does anyone know what is wrong with the code below? I have searched around without any luck so far. I don't see where I'd need an additional parenthesis... Any help is greatly appreciated.

01070151:3: Rule [Client_Cert_Auth] error:

line 13: [parse error: PARSE syntax 503 {syntax error in expression "($ssl_errstr eq "ok") and ($subject_dn matches $CN) and ($su...": looking for close parenthesis}] [{($ssl_errstr eq "ok") and ($subject_dn matches $CN) and ($subject_dn matches $OU) and ($subject_dn matches $O) and ($subject_dn matches $L) and ($subject_dn matches $S) and ($subject_dn matches $C) and ($issuer_dn matches $I)}]
  • I replaced 'matches' with 'contains' and it compiled correctly. I would still like to figure out why contains is accepted, but matches is not.

if {($ssl_errstr equals "ok") and ($subject_dn matches $CN) and ($subject_dn matches $OU) and ($subject_dn matches $O) and ($subject_dn matches $L) and ($subject_dn matches $S) and ($subject_dn matches $C) and ($issuer_dn matches $I)} {

is now:

if {($ssl_errstr equals "ok") and ($subject_dn contains $CN) and ($subject_dn contains $OU) and ($subject_dn contains $O) and ($subject_dn contains $L) and ($subject_dn contains $S) and ($subject_dn contains $C) and ($issuer_dn contains $I)} {
  • Hi Bob,

The matches wiki page indicates matches isn't valid in 9.4.8 or 10.x:

http://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/default.aspx/iRules/matches

This command doesn't seem to exist in 9.4.8 or 10 and was replaced in 10 with matches_glob

Aaron