Forum Discussion

T5C
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Oct 03, 2022

BIGIQ - resource groups

Hi Everyone

I would like to add several dozen VIPs to resource group on BIGIQ and also remove tens of VIPs from that group. I haven't found any way so far to do it via API. Is there any way to do it not by assigning specific VIP's via GUI but using API or script so that it would be quite fast ?

Regards

TC.

4 Replies

• I don't see it in the API docs. However, everything is a call to REST. To see the endpoint the browser/UI is talking to utilize developer tools and trace this. You'll likely find the Resouce Group is a UUID and you'll need to track that too.

• Maybe see JMCalalang suggestion and try to use article for Ansible debug to see the API traffic https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K63577238

Enable restnoded debug logging for F5 Modules for Ansible version 2 troubleshooting

Impact of procedure: Features that make use of F5 REST Node.js will be interrupted while the service restarts. In addition, enabling debug logging can increase disk and CPU activity. F5 does not recommend leaving debugging enabled on a production device for extended periods of time.

1. Log in to the BIG-IP command line.
    2. Create an empty debug file to notify the process to enter debug mode upon the next restart using the following command:

touch /service/restnoded/debug

3. Restart restnoded by entering the following the command:

bigstart restart restnoded

4. Leave debug mode on while you reproduce the issue.
    5. Review the contents of /var/log/restnoded/restnoded.log.
    6. Revert to standard logging by removing the debug file. To do so, enter the following command:

rm /service/restnoded/debug

1. Log in to the BIG-IP command line.
      2. Use the tcpdump utility to capture restjavad traffic on the loopback interface and port 8100. To do so enter the following command:

tcpdump -nni lo -s0 port 8100 -w /shared/tmp/restjavad-$(date +%H%M%S-%m%d%y).pcap

Note: The date command will include the current time in hours, minutes and seconds followed by the current date in the capture file name for example: restjavad-173643-060322.pcap.

3. Leave the capture running while you reproduce the issue.
      4. Stop the capture by entering Ctrl + C.
      5. Collect the file from the /shared/tmp directory.
      6. Restart the service once more by entering the following command:

bigstart restart restnoded

Capture restjavad traffic

You can analyze network traffic to and from the restjavad process to aid in troubleshooting. It is typically not necessary to also capture restnoded traffic; however, if desired you can capture on port 8105 to see traffic from this process.

Impact of procedure: Capturing network traffic can increase disk and CPU activity. F5 recommends only capturing traffic during active troubleshooting sessions.

• Hey T5C , I don't see that in the API spec either. I will do some digging on this and get back to you unless anyone else replies first.

• If you managed to get the needed answers, please flag the question as answered.