Random Acts of Optimization.

CDT SnapshotsWhen I first embarked on my application development career, I was a code optimization junky. Really, making things faster, more efficient, the tightest it could get was a big deal to me. That routine you wrote to solve a one-off problem often becomes the core routine used by applications across the infrastructure, so writing tight code was (to me) important. The industry obviously didn’t agree with me, since now we run mostly interpreted languages over the network, but that was then, this is now and all.

The thing is that performance still matters, it has just changed location. The amount of overhead in the difference (in C/C++) between if() else and (x?y:z)  is not so important anymore unless that particular instruction is being used a whole lot. The latency introduced to the network by all of those devices between server and client is far larger than the few clock cycles difference between these two instructions. There are still applications where optimized code really makes a difference (mostly in embedded, where all resources are less than even the tablet space), but with ever-shrinking form factors and increasing resources, even those instances are going away slowly but surely. The only place I’ve heard of that really needs a high level of source optimization in recent months is high-speed transactions in the financial services sector.

Simply put, if your application is on the network, the organization will get more out of spending networking staff man-hours improving network performance than spending developer man-hours doing the same. There is still a lot of app optimization that needs to go on – databases are a notorious area where a great DBA can make your application many times faster – but the network is impacting the applications many times in its back-and-forth, and it is impacting all applications, including the ones you don’t have the source to.

But there are a lot of pieces to application delivery optimization (ADO), and approaching it piecemeal has no better result than approaching application optimization piecemeal. Just because you put a load balancer in front of your server and fired up a few more VMs behind the load balancer to share the load does not mean that your application is optimized. In some instances, that is the best solution, but in most cases, a more thorough Application Delivery Network approach is required. Making the application more responsive by load balancing does not decrease the amount of data the application is sending over your Internet connection, does not optimize delivery of the application over the wire to make it faster on the client end, does not direct users to the geographically closest or least utilized datacenter/cloud, does not… Well, do a lot of things. Exactly the same as optimizing your applications’ code won’t help a bit if the database is the slowest part of the application.

So I’ll recommend an holistic approach (I hate that phrase, but how else do you politely say “look at every friggin’ thing on your network”?), that focuses on application serving and application delivery. And if you’re in multiple datacenters with data having to traverse the Internet behind your application also, then back-end optimizations also. It’s not just about throwing more virtuals at the problem, and most of us know it at this point. The user experience is, in the end, what matters most, and there are plenty of places other than your app that can dog performance from the user perspective. Look into compression and caching, TCP optimizations, application specific delivery tweaks, back-end optimizations, and in some cases, code optimizations. check the performance hit that every device between your servers and the Internet introduces. Optimize everything. And, like writing tight code, it will become just the way you do things. Once it is ingrained that you check all the places your application performance can suffer, it’s less to worry about, because you’ll configure things with deployment. Call it DevOps if you will, but make it part of your normal deployment model and review things whenever there’s a change.

It’s a complex beast, the enterprise network, and it’s not getting less so. Use templates (like F5’s iApps) to provision the network bits correctly for you. Taking the F5 example, there is an iApp for deploying SharePoint and a different one for Exchange. They take care of the breadth of issues that can speed delivery of each application. You just answer a few questions. I am unaware of any of our competitors having a similar solution, but it is only a question of time, so if you’re not an F5 customer, ask your sales representative what the timeline for delivery of similar functionality is. I’m not an expert on our competition, who knows, maybe they have rolled something out already. Even if not, you can make checklists much like F5 Application Guides and F5 Deployment Guides, then use them to train new employees and make certain you’ve set everything up to your liking.

Generally speaking, faster is better on any given network, so optimization is something you’ll have to worry about even if you’re not thinking about it today. Hope this helps a little in understanding that there’s more to it than load balancing. But if not, at least I got to write about optimizing C source.

Related Articles and Blogs:

Published Sep 06, 2012
Version 1.0

Was this article helpful?

No CommentsBe the first to comment