F5 SMEs share good practice.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chase_Abbott
F5 Employee
F5 Employee

0151T000003d6esQAA.jpgTo assist DevOps teams improve their development for the BIG-IP platform, F5 offers a low cost developer lab license. This license can be purchased from your authorized F5 vendor.  If you do not have an F5 vendor, you can purchase a lab license online:

Once completed, the order is sent to F5 for fulfillment and your license will be delivered shortly after via e-mail.  F5 is investigating ways to improve this process.

To download the BIG-IP Virtual Edition, please log into downloads.f5.com (separate login from DevCentral), and navigate to your appropriate virtual edition, example:

Note: There are also 1 Slot versions of the above images where a 2nd boot partition is not needed for in-place upgrades. These images include _1SLOT- to the image name instead of ALL.

The below guides will help get you started with F5 BIG-IP Virtual Edition to develop for VMWare Fusion, AWS, Azure, VMware, or Microsoft Hyper-V.  These guides follow standard practices for installing in production environments and performance recommendations change based on lower use/non-critical needs fo Dev/Lab environments.  Similar to driving a tank, use your best judgement.

Note:  F5 Support maintains authoritative Azure, AWS, Hyper-V, and ESX/vCloud installation documentation.  VMware Fusion is not an official F5-supported hypervisor so DevCentral publishes the Fusion guide with the help of our Field Systems Engineering teams.
Comments
WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus
Try CDW: (I bought mine from CDW) https://m.cdw.com/product/big-ip-virtual-edition-lab-license-v.-16-license-10-mbps/4699677 Here is another company that claims to sell the lab licenses: https://www.infradata.com/partners/f5-networks/support/lab-license/?utm_campaign=US+%7C+S+%7C+Vendor+%7C+F5+Networks&utm_medium=ppc&utm_source=adwords&utm_term=%2Bf5%20%2Blab&hsa_grp=60023889810&hsa_acc=1686662182&hsa_src=g&hsa_cam=1608705548&hsa_ad=322505644545&hsa_tgt=kwd-600877020422&hsa_kw=%2Bf5%20%2Blab&hsa_ver=3&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_mt=b&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuLPb3IbE5QIV8ZFbCh3p6QjrEAAYAiAAEgI35_D_BwE

, I can provide you with a quotation for a LAB VE license. Drop me an email at kees[at]kees4ip.nl

Cheers,

Kees

itsmygalaxy
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

If F5 could directly deliver the license, it would ease all customers. The re sellers doesnt promptly answer/update the customers. I ordered with CDW and it got cancelled as soon as i ordered without any update. After two days when i called for an update they moved my order into queue I am still following up with them over a month after paying for it. Could i get an alternative re-seller where could i get this?

, F5 doesn't do direct sales, only via the partner channel (F5 -> distri -> partner -> customer).

Drop me an email (see my post above yours) and I will provide you with a quotation.

Cheers,

Kees

Prakin
Cirrus
Cirrus

Hi,

is this links CDW still valid ? to purchase lab license?.

Br,

Prakin

, this link will only work within the US.

See my post above yours.

Cheers,

Kees

drewm
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

this would be nice... if you could get cdw to actually send you a license key.... its been two weeks waiting for one and i've already paid...

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

I cannot get any traction on this whatsoever. I'm trying to buy 3 lab licenses. The "(16)" version isn't the current version 15. Not understanding the CDW naming conventions, I original tried to buy it via the "(18)" version. CDW said that F5 requested a purchase order, meaning F5 assumed it was an upgrade license that CDW is charging $121.99 for, which makes no sense at all. Maintenance contract for a lab license should be less that $30. Long story short, after two MONTHS of back and forth with CDW, they provided zero guidance on what product would get a reaction from F5 that is NOT "send us a purchase order number". Is anyone getting the licenses they need? I'm so angry about this. I support the federal government as a contractor, and I need this personal test environment. I built an ESXi for this sole purpose, and it is collecting dust now. I have called, emailed and submitted forms to the F5 sales office... Zilch. They just do not give a !@#$ about independent engineers. This used to be hard, but now it seems impossible. Should I just try again to order "(16)" and hope it's somehow a better option than "(18)"? I tell you, no one at CDW has a clue about any of the F5 products. I end up having to guide the narrative in talking to F5, but in the end that doesn't even matter.

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus
Jer, I forwarded this message to my F5 Sales Rep. He and his partner engineer have been Huge and Helpful resources for me and my team over the years. It may take a while, but I'm sure this person will be willing and able to track someone down who can then answer your questions and hopefully provide you direction. Just received an OOO stating my guy is out of the office until Monday. Please be patient. I am confident he'll be able to provide some advice. Respectfully, John K. Weaver CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNP, CCNA-Security, F5-CA, MCSE-Security, MCITP-EA/SA/VA (2008), VCP-DCV 2019 (v6.5), VCP6-NV (v6.2), VCP5-DCV (v5.5), Security+CE 734-673-7429
Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Thank you, WeaverJK! I just got in touch with my fed rep, and that is sounding promising so far. I may even get 3 temp licenses while things are sorted out with payments for the actuals. I'm hoping to have these VEs up by Monday or Tuesday. If for some reason traction fails on it, I'll comment here again. I know multiple engineers who are all stuck with this, and all of them work for fed agencies or multi-nationals. It's just stunning to me that this has become this painful for all of us.

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Jer,

I understand your frustration.

This should be as easy as putting 3 lab licenses in your cart at CDW and making the purchase. Then, CDW contacts F5. F5 fulfills the order by providing the license keys to CDW. CDW then delivers the keys to you. Not the best method, but relatively straight forward.

I haven't seen any "18" option. I would simply buy the 16 and go from there. The versioning shouldn't matter. It's a lab license and you then have access to a wide range of versions to work with (I recall seeing a range from 9-11 when I bought my lab licenses). Certain versions were not available, like the latest at the time, so it was a little frustrating, but several versions were available for use with the license.

Another route - although this may be a pain too - is to reach out to a vendor that supplies licenses to the U.S. Government. For example, my Lab Renewals are done through World Wide Technologies.

Best wishes,

John

(and, just after writing this, I see an e-mail that said you did just that.... good luck!)

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

If you search for "f5 lab" (no quotes), and order the list from least expensive, you'll see (16) and two (18)s. These all seem to be the same bs, though perhaps (16) is the secret door. The fact is that I just guessed at which was the right one, choosing (18) a couple months back, and neither CDW nor F5 had any clue about how to fix the situation. Perhaps you're right about (16), but it's a crapshoot in my opinion. I'm going to try to acquire these through my fed rep unless that ultimately doesn't pan out. The rep and I are hoping he can get internal traction to try to get attention focused at F5 on the CDW problem.

drewm
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

i tried using another vendor shi dot com and they rejected my order b/c i wasnt a registered business...

i don't think a govt supplier could help in this either...

cdw dragged their feet for over a month... saying something about putting in a quote or whatever... i wound up cancelling as i already have two of the 16.x licenses. wanted to get an 18.x which they show "IN STOCK"

f5 18 lab

i kept getting these unhelpful responses from CDW team:

On Thu, Mar x 2020 Josseline Romero Hernandez <CustomerRelations@cdw.com> wrote:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting CDW Customer Relations. we apologies for the inconvenience regarding order # 1xxxxx. This order is on hold and requires the sales team to further assist. you can reach them at 800-800-4239 opt 2.

Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can further assist.

Kind Regards,

Josseline Romero

Customer Relations

CDW Inc.

Phone: 800-800-4239 option 2

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

EXACTLY what happened to me, even after I escalated it in their sales and customer service departments!

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Here is what the CDW product list looks like. These do not resemble the titles that existed 4 years ago, which did not have parenthesis on the versions. Again, my impression is that F5 thinks these are upgrades while CDW thinks they are full licenses, and neither company wants to fix this problem when the root cause is discovered. At least, that's what happed with version (18). If anyone buys a (16) license at this point and succeeds in obtaining it, please post your experience here. I will try again later, if I can't get mine through my fed rep.0691T000008GiJ1QAK.png

drewm
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

can we get some help here? i'm not trying to trash f5, in fact just the opposite...

i want to get my hands on a couple 18x lab licenses so i can test / learn / certify / promote f5 products.

i love my 16.x ve labs, and want to get the latest version so i can learn the new functionallity.

f5 has always made quality products, and the support is one of the best in the business!

please make the lab editions easier to obtain so we can continue to learn and expand the customer base of f5!

-drew

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

When i asked CDW about 18, they were told by F5 that it not exist yet. I was also told 16 also did not exist and only 15 existed, though I got no help getting the license for 15. When I visited VE downloads, I only saw 15 and earlier only.

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

UPDATE:

Good evening.

My F5 Sales Engineer responded even though he is on vacation. He handed off to the Engineer. The Engineer engaged the F5 Public sector sales group. Someone from that group sent me and e-mail and we had a phone conversation moments ago. Wow! Talk about good customer service!

Okay - so here's the bad part. While F5 is great at many things, handing their Lab licenses and sales of those licenses to the general public (apparently called the Private sector, not "public" as seems logical to me) is Not one of those things.

To be clear, it was the F5 Public sector sales group that reached out to me. They handle sales to government entities, not companies or private citizens.

I explained the situation to this person. He understands the situation. He said he would reach back to F5 and see what they can come up with.

If you work for a government entity (are military, Civilian, or Contractor) and would like assistance, there's no guarantee this group that reached out to me tonight will be able to assist, but if you choose to send me your name and e-mail address, I will pass that information along and request that they reach out to you. The individual I spoke with tonight did not want to post anything here himself at this time and did not want to make promises he couldn't keep.

I did receive a quite tonight however and can verify that this is the current listing for the current lab license:

Part No.: F5-BIG-VE-LAB-V18

Description: BIG-IP Virtual Edition: Lab License (LTM, DNS,

AFM, ASM, AWF, APM, CGN, SSLO, Routing,

SDN, Crypto Offload, Ext-HSM, Adv, Protocols,

10 Mbps, v12.1.x - v18.x)

F5 Networks, Inc. - F5-BIG-VE-LAB-V18

The price quoted to me (for Public sector and from this specific company) was less than $95. When I purchased my lab licenses four years ago, the price was $115 or so. I would expect to pay about $120 or more if a private citizen.

And the Service Agreement is:

Part No.: F5-SVC-BIG-PRESW218

Description: BIG-IP Service: Premium CAT SW218

F5 Networks, Inc. - F5-SVC-BIG-PRE-SW218

The price quoted to me (for Public sector and from this specific company) was less than $17 for 1 Year.

At least I kicked the ball over to F5 and they acknowledged the concern.

Best Wishes,

John K. Weaver

CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNP, CCNA-Security, F5-CA, MCSE-Security, MCITP-EA/SA/VA (2008), VCP-DCV 2019 (v6.5), VCP6-NV (v6.2), VCP5-DCV (v5.5), Security+CE  

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Where are you seeing downloads for 16-18? These are not listed on the site.0691T000008GiM0QAK.png

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Jer - who are you addressing?

I have not been on the F5 web site since they moved to v13.

I am not sure what web site you are looking at (no URL showing).

I received a Quote from F5. That's the information I passed along.

Starting a D&D game now so I have to go. Catch you guys and gals later.

JKW

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Screenshot is from F5.com (dark mode extension for Chrome), the normal download area. My point is, 16-18 doesn't seem to exist yet. Where are people getting it and why is CDW supposedly selling 16 and 18 even though F5 classifies them as support extensions during attempted transactions? What a mess.

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Jer, I see what you mean. Interesting. When I spoke with the F5 Public sector salesman, I told him I had not heard of v16, v17, or v18. I explained that, when I last worked with F5 OS, I recall using v13 (with v14 on the horizon). The salesman told me they do indeed have v15, v16, and v18.

I just logged in, as you did, and see the same thing - v15 is the most recent available in the Downloads section.

I also heard back from my primary federal sales rep this morning. He is researching the issue and will get back with me.

I'll keep you updated,

John

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Update:

I spoke with my F5 sales team.

1) I was informed that any F5 reseller can sell the VE Lab Licenses.

Keep in mind that there is little profit, if any, in reselling the lab licenses. This may explain the apparent ignorance or indifference of some resellers when it comes to Lab licenses.

2) Sounds like v16 and v18 are future releases that are in the works. This explains why the F5 Downloads section goes up to v15, but not v16 or v18. F5 has apparently released SKUs for resellers to use to sell licenses for the future v16 and v18 versions. This explains why some vendors show v16 or v18 for sale. The licenses being sold will include the version being sold for. As an example, my own lab licenses are "F5-SVC-BIG-VE+PREL13." If I recall, I have access to some v9, some v10, some v11 (but not all, for example, the version on the exams was not available with this license four years ago!), v12, and v13).

3) My F5 sales contact reached out to internal leaders to determine if F5 might want to sell lab licenses directly instead of through resellers (which would make things a Ton easier for people like us!). Response forthcoming. My own thoughts: of course, even if it were a positive response, getting to the desired state may take much time.

4) I sent back questions about lab licenses and versions covered. For example, if we purchase a v18 lab license, which versions will we be allowed to utilize in the lab?

Hope the information helps.

I'll keep you posted as things develop.

John

Chase_Abbott
F5 Employee
F5 Employee

Hi all;

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you sooner. Here's the scoop on licensing:

The lab licenses are designed to allow upgrades for several versions. That version is baked into the internal SKU as you've seen. There are several different lab functions for different sectors so the SKU defines what features are available and through what versions, including future versions.

F5-BIG-VE-LAB-V18: This is a BIG-IP Virtual Edition Lab License that will work through version 18 when it's released in the future. I am running this license on my v15 BIG-IP Lab. I won't have to relicense when I upgrade.

What you're all running into and what I've brought up several times with CDW and F5 internally is that should NOT be the title of the purchasable license to consumers. As this thread clearly illustrates, it confuses everyone when you see a future version date as the sellable item. It also really doesn't help when they have two versions on there without an explanation. I know the older v15, v16 licenses are designed to work back to a specific version (if you were running v11 and wanted to test upgrades for example).

The second issue here is how is an emailed license can be "out of stock". That even happened to me and I have no idea the back end rationalization.

I will escalate this thread up as another case of legacy sales methods failing a digital purchasing model. F5 does know this is a huge issue and we have several "things" being worked on to fix it.

But the short is: Call CDW and ask where the order is. I did create a personal secret shopper account and was able to get the order through once I gave them a physical shipping address (even though it's an emailed license) and they had to create a secondary charge of $15ish USD for a support contract to go with the license, something not listed/itemized on their site.

But it did end up going through and I do know that another community member used that info and got their license same week.

What other questions related to this fun subject do you need answering? 😁

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Chase, did you actually get a license as a secret shopper or just complete an order? I have tried to get a license twice and failed. Placing the order is not the issue. I've never been prompted by CDW to buy a support contract. I have lost hours upon hours via phone and email with CDW. I still see no way to get this license though CDW.

Hi Jer,

Where do you live? I can get you a LAB VE v18 license + 3 years support.

Cheers,

Kees

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

I don't understand why F5 sales cannot take direct orders for these, after all these years of engineers suffering.

F5 doesn't do direct sales....

Send me an email and I will get you a quotation, kees[at]kees4ip.nl

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Thank you for the offer, Kees. I'm going to work with the rep affiliated with my job. I am aware that F5 doesn't do direct sales. My point is that they should, since the current system is broken.

D98Harrell
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Totally agree that the current system is broken. After two months of going back and forward with CDW I still don't have a lab license. I finally cancelled the order and looking for an alternative way to place my order.. It should be this difficult to purchase a lab license.

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

For years now... F5 has been all talk and no action, an insult to the engineers around the world who support its products.

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

No resolution at this point. Just wanted to let you know that I did previously speak with my F5 sales engineers and with someone in sales at an F5 subsidary. Unfortunately, at that time, they agreed that they were not geared to sell lab licenses to individuals, only to businesses.

I reached out to our sales engineers again today. They are again reaching out internally.

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Thanks for your personal effort on our behalf, WeaverJK. My comment is not a reflection on you (your effort today is deeply appreciated) but rather the company policy not to sell individual licenses. It's not practical for engineers to have to do this through their employment and contracts. Most of us have dev networks at home. We absolutely must have access to full lab licenses at home, so we can learn about modules that are out of work scope. This allows us to bolster our skill sets to qualify for other jobs as well as recommend services at work that are being ignored. Make no mistake, we are the ones primarily being unduly punished by this policy. But, I also think F5 is shooting itself in the sales foot by limiting exposure to its expanding product ecosystem by us, the engineers that make the F5 world go around. It is counterproductive from every perspective. I'm being forced to obtain licenses through my contractor POC (still unresolved, as I only have temp licenses). My goal is to setup and practice with containerization via NGINX, something under consideration but not embraced at work. Hopefully, this gets the point across.

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Jer,

You are

welcome.

No

worries. I didn’t take anyone’s post personally.

You are

preaching to the choir. I agree. I have home labs. I try to keep skills up. F5

should support such efforts.

i will

post again if/when I have an update.

Best

wishes to all!

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Someone at F5 give this man a raise... and listen to him.

Dustin_Purkey
F5 Employee
F5 Employee

Team- I am on the F5 Federal Sales team so I'm not likely aligned with most of you but I am happy to help anyone here get connected with your appropriate F5 team to ensure that they can walk you through the process. These are available from any F5 reseller and it should be a straight forward process to obtain a quote and order the license or support renewal. My email is d.purkey@f5.com

Hi  ,

Most of the resellers don't want to sell the LAB VE license. There is no discount on the license and support ( a little on support). So no profit for them. Creating a quotation, sales order and invoice is costing them more then the price of the VE (136 dollar with 3 years support).

I am one of the few F5 partners that want to help engineers. I am selling without any profit.

Cheers,

Kees

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Dustin,

Thank you

for taking the time to chime in here.

Dustin

and his sales partner, Paul, are two amazing people who have gone out of their

way to ensure the teams where I work have a full understanding (as much as

needed) of their products and have the support we need.

Dustin,

when your average engineer looks for an F5 reseller, all Google serves up is

CDW. While I got my lab licenses through CDW, CDW had no way of selling

follow-on support service.

This type

of support would be valuable to the F5 community:

·       a list of retailers that have verified they are willing to sell lab licenses to individuals

·       Verification from those retailers that they will sell support licenses to individuals

·       a validated Point Of Contact list for the correct team or person in each company who can assist with these sales

Dustin, you

and I can take this offline if you wish. With your assistance, I would be happy

to develop and validate such lists. For now, I believe a small group of five to

ten such companies would be welcomed by the F5 community.

Would

anyone else like to chime in? I plan to have a conversation with Dustin this

week.

John

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

To quote The Princess Bride in relation to the word Reseller, "You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means." As others have pointed out, F5 Networks has lost touch with the experience on the ground for us engineers that want to obtain individual lab licenses (I currently need three). Let me be clear. I DO NOT WANT TO OBTAIN A LICENSE THROUGH WORK NOR NON-COMMERCIAL VENDOR. The only resource I've ever found that offered what I and my peers need is CDW, and their cart is COMPLETELY DYSFUNCTIONAL. It leads to weeks of debates through email and phone, one part of the company looping into another like a snake eating its tail. I've been able to buy licenses from CDW in the past, but I tried twice recently and failed. It's a joke. I appreciate people on this board trying to help, but I don't want to purchase outside of the US, and I shouldn't have to. The company is here. I work here. And I don't want to purchase licenses under the umbrella of another organization, my purchase attributed to them. The problem is that F5 Networks thinks it has a system in place to help engineers, but that system is completely broken. Give is a direct line to purchase these. Make a page available for individual logged-in users, allowing us to buy LAB VE licenses with a credit card. How hard can that be? F5 doesn't need to give money to a middle party who has no compelling interest in these small transactions. Or... just fix this awful situation with CDW. I'm sensing denial on the part of F5's role in that system no longer working. And CDW has made it painfully clear that they can't obtain the licenses from F5 Networks when people order them. F5 keeps coming back with intractable red tape. Last two times I tried to order, CDW said that F5 required some kind of prior company invoice, and so the cycle of horror begins, back and forth, until we finally give up. And then come here when all else fails.

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

ALLCON:

I spoke with Dustin Purkey today. He is going to work two avenues to see if we can gain traction on support for this subject within F5.

Me? I reached out to a few handfuls of F5 Resellers and inquired as to whether or not they would like to sell F5 lab licenses and service agreements to individuals. Please see below for details.

Find a Reseller:  

https://f5.com/partners/find-a-partner?res=1&type=Value%20Added%20Reseller&country=United%20States

Today, I e-mailed the following companies:  

App Delivery Works

World Wide Technologies

Carahsoft

Arrow Electronics, Inc.

Accudata Systems - HQ

Access IT Group

CompuCom - HQ

Blue Chip Tek (not happy with these guys as I couldn't submit the form unless I optned in to receiving spam mail from them. They should know better than to treat potential customers this way.)

Bed Roc

AugustSchell

Adapture

Iron Bow Technologies

Datec Inc.

Logicalis

Layer 3 Communications

LaSalle Solutions

Nexum, Inc.

One Technology Corporation

My e-mails identified the need (F5 lab licenses and continuing support agreements for individuals), noted that F5 stated that any F5 reseller is able to sell the lab licenses, asked if the companies would like to sell the lab licenses to individuals, and, if so, that the companies provide one or more points of contact (name, e-mail address, and phone number) and that they inform such POCs to expect to be contacted by individuals whom wish to purchase the lab licenses.

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Here is a good article that Dustin Purkey passed my way:

https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K15643

The article won't get us licenses, but the article does explain which license versions provide access to which OS versions. Good to know before making a purchase!

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Hilarious. After trying to buy V18 twice, CDW and others told me I should have bought another version. According to your link, I chose the correct product number, not that it made any difference; because, CDW's F5 LAB VE is an EPIC FAILure at this point.

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

First of the companies to respond with a valid response, willingness to sell the lab licenses, and authorization to post contact information:

Adapture (F5 Guardian Partner)

Sean Conway

404-626-4540

sconway@adapture.com

This reseller should have access to sell all currently available lab licenses. That said, they know they've quoted for this one: SKU: F5-BIG-VE-LAB-V18

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Thank you! Does the license get registered under my own contact information or theirs with F5?

WeaverJK
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

ALLCON: if you purchase from one of the companies I've listed here or from any company for that matter, would you please provide the community some feedback as to what company you worked with, who you worked with there, what their contact details are, and how smoothly the transaction went (and if it went through to completion):

Here's an update on a few companies:

Carahsoft - doesn't seem to know what they are doing. Sad, as they claim to be owned by F5. They said they don't sell to individuals. Later, they said "maybe," but it would be best if you worked for a government agency.

Access IT Group (aka "AITG) - seriously does not know what it's doing. They informed me that I had to already own a full product and support license in order to buy a lab license. I educated them otherwise, but they chose to blow me off and not respond.

Jer-O
Cirrus
Cirrus

Thanks for this detailed info, WeaverJK! If I place an order via Adapture, is the license only tied to me, or is it attributed to Adapture as a parent licensee?

Bjarcevic
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Just ordered mine through Adapture

Contact

Sean Conway

404-626-4540

sconway@adapture.com

gblydenburgh
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

This post doesn't provide any new insight. I just wanted to keep the thread going with new reports. I ordered from CDW on 8/25 and am still waiting to hear back for the initial quote. This seems to be consistent with all the other previous reports.

I have purchased the VE license twice in the past from CDW and never had an issue. In fact, both times I had my licenses within 24-48 hours after ordering through the web portal. There was never a "Request a Quote" process My last purchased version was v13. What happened between now and then?

Chase_Abbott
F5 Employee
F5 Employee

@gblydenburgh - Were the previous purchases using a corporate account or personal account? My bad experience was when I registered a personal account and tried to use that as opposed to my corporate account with CDW which is met with no issues (of course I have an amazing account rep that helps at every step).

gblydenburgh
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

@CAbbott My last order on 06/06/2016 was definitely personal. The one before that, may have been with my corporate account but still using a credit card. I cant find that receipt.

I have contacted Sean Conway, from the WeaverJK post in this thread, and got a reply from him within 30 minutes. You will need to fill out a new customer form, and a credit card payment form (both PDFs that will delivered via email), but he claims licenses within 72 hours. I will probably ditch my CDW quote and go that route. I will be buying the longest support contract available so I don't have to go through this again anytime soon.

I have also contacted my account team about this. He suggested giving SHI.COM a try, an sent this link: https://www.shi.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SHISystemID=ShiCommodity&ProductIdentity=37718336. There is no quote button when I opened it, BUT you need to be a customer. I filled out the required "contact us" link and submitted my request to be added. Tried to call to speed things up but was directed back to the "contact us" link and wait for a contact rep to email or call.

I am torn between waiting for SHI.COM to see if a standard purchasing method will work, or staying with the email contact just to get it done. The issue I had with the SHI link is that I couldn't find a service contract link to extend the license to give me 3 years of updates.

Will update with my experience. I may buy from both.

P.S. I just heard back again from the Adapture rep Sean Conway regarding an adjustment to the quote for my purchase. So essentially, from initial contact and two quotes 1 hours passed. This is great, but he is doing this on his own and this isn't company policy. I let him know that I have christened him St Sean.

Version history
Last update:
‎24-Jan-2022 14:22
Updated by: