Forum Discussion

Alan_2098
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 04, 2014

virtual edition network interfaces

Can the virtual edition support more than two interfaces, not including management? If so how do you get it to re-identify the hardware nic's?

• Are you by any chance running it under VMware Workstation?

On my 10.2.4 HF7 VE, it does not recognize a network adapter unless it is vmxnet3. What I've been doing is hand-editing the .vmx file and adding: ethernet3.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

If you're on vSphere 5.x, you can make this change in the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Interface. But as far as I've been able to tell, there's no way to set this in the Workstation GUI.

• If you disconnect and reconnect the network adapters the Big-IP interfaces will refresh.

• Hi there Does it matter what version of the bigip software you have installed? I tried it but it had no effect, im running 10.2.4.

nathe
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus

Alan, might this link help?

https://devcentral.f5.com/articles/whaddya-mean-ltm-ve-only-has-two-interfaces.UvEDCvl_sk0

Rgds N

tiwang

Hi out there I am running VE 11.3 and it tries to enumerate 6 interfaces - but I am only using 2 + mgmnt so I cannot gurantee that it in fact would Work but I would really expect this best regards /ti

• Are you by any chance running it under VMware Workstation?

On my 10.2.4 HF7 VE, it does not recognize a network adapter unless it is vmxnet3. What I've been doing is hand-editing the .vmx file and adding: ethernet3.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

If you're on vSphere 5.x, you can make this change in the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Interface. But as far as I've been able to tell, there's no way to set this in the Workstation GUI.

Alan_2098
      Hi there I'm having to use workstation until our vSphere stuff get upgraded, adding the extra lines has sorted this out. Thank for this, and thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. :)
  • When you deploy BIG-IP Virtual Edition (VE), by default, the virtual machine guest environment includes three virtual network adapters: one for the management interface, and two for Traffic Management Microkernel (TMM) interfaces. If your specific needs demand more TMM interfaces, you can add virtual network adapters to the virtual machine guest environment. Each additional virtual network adapter equates to one additional TMM interface. The software has no limitations on the number of interfaces that you can configure.