Forum Discussion

Sonador_28_1978
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Sep 09, 2024

Network failover - peer-offline

Hello,

I think I'll need advices or at least some opinions, here... On the cluster of F5 we manage, the secondary node passed master, one month ago. Besides, I see, in the GUI, the button "force failover" is greyzed. So Impossible to make a failover from that. But.. Maybe I could force it in CLI... I am not yet sure. I didn't try that, for now (it is not our cluster, so... I must be careful). Anyway... when I have made tests on the clusters, I found that : 

show cm failover-status

--------------------

Status   STANDBY (...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

adress IP1:1026  nodename_Sec 0         1            -                     Error

adress IP21026  nodename_Sec 0         1            -                     Error

adress IP3:1026  nodename_Sec  30334301  3            2024-Sep-09 16:48:55  Ok 

(PS. I do not indicate the real address / node name, of course, here...)

# show /cm traffic-group (...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

traffic-group-1           nodename_Pri  standby  true    false     -

traffic-group-1           nodename_Sec  active   false   false     peer-offline

# show /sys failover

Failover active for 35d 04:03:10

Well, there is 3 address used for the configSync. The 2 first one are self IPs. They are configured with a port lockdown "none". Normally, it is not correct, that is ok, I know it. It should be configured on "default" or "allow all". BUT the management IP work well, obviously. We have a status "ok" for this one. So... Basically, I should be able to make a "failover, in that case, In first view. Except no. Because the button "force failover" is grey. 

However, I see too the "peer offline" with my cmd "show /cm traffic-group". 

That means I should be in that situation : https://my.f5.com/s/article/K000137178.

But... the "network -pan" doesn't show me any "sod off". So, I am not sure of that, after all.

So, 

1/ Do you know if the fact I see the "peer-offline" explain, itself, why my button "force failover" is grey ?

2/ The fact we have only the management IP usable for the configSync is functionnal, according to you ? Could it explain too all the problem ?

3/ I do not see "sod off" with a "netstat -pan" (Cf. the Kb I shared her above). In despite of that, do you think I should restart the sod ?

Brief, is someone knew a similar situation and would have an opinion or a suggestion about it, please ? 

Have a nice day end!

Best regards,

Christian

• Hi,

I see : 

# show /sys failover cable

cable state unset

But I am on an environment virtual. Not sure that is normal or not, here.

Damn, there is no useful logs to explain the phenomemon. If the mgmt interface works, I should not see "peer-offline", according to me. And I should not see any button "force failover" disabled, anyway.

"Always Failback to First Device if it is Available" is not checked. Normally, that mean the auto failback is not activated and I must click on "force to standby" to back to the normal. But the button stay greyzed.

Any idea ?

Best regards,

Christian