Forum Discussion

Gopinath_Vedagi
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 03, 2013

LTM 4000s - Transit Vlan Active Standby Setup

It's new for me to work with F5 LTM box after saying goodbye to cisco LB . We bought a set of LTM 4000s boxes in new DC to work in active - standby concept using transit vlan .

I tried for past 2 days , but the scenario is not working for me . In the new setup i planned to use fail-over through network .version is 11.4

Two vlans will be created for LTM communication both in LB and Switch .

1 . Transit Vlan

2 . HA vlan

Transit vlan with the number 404 and subnet is 10.125.100.0/28 , Group ip for this vlan is configured in Switch as 10.125.100.1 , HSRP ip's are 10.125.100.2 and .3 in primary and secondary switch respectively . IN LTM side both the boxes are configured in same subnet range Primary-10.125.100.4 and secondary - 10.125.100.5

Static route will be placed in switch for Vserver subnets configured in LTM and default route configure in LTM for both client and server communication pointing to the Group IP .

HA vlan will be used for Failover communication ( I don't whether this one really need in this setup ) .

I done below things to form the cluster , but in the device summary its displayed with peer- device is disconnected .

1 . Created the self ip for transit vlan floating and non - floating 2 . Added the peer device in trust domain using mgmt ip . 3 . included both the devices in device and traffic group ( this group is created on default ) 4 . assigned sync , mirroring address , failover address as the non floating transit vlan ip . 5 . Spanned the vlan in switches and done the same step in secondary also . 6 . Created the HA vlan non - floating address in both the devices ( not used this address anywhere during cluster configuration )

Note - I tagged the transit and HA vlan in trunk .

It really helpful if you give solution on this setup or make some steps to include the missed component in my configuration .

Thnks , Gopinath

Kevin_K_51432
    Historic F5 Account

Hi, usually this can be caused by a few simple issues. The most popular is failing to define the failover and config sync IPs for the device. Sounds like that is complete. The next popular issue is the time on the devices is greater than one minute apart. Ensure they are using NTP and less than one minute in difference. Also, be sure you are adding the peer to trust domain by using the management IP address.

tmsh  list sys management-ip
    sys management-ip 172.24.112.20/24 { }

One last trick that sometimes works if everything is correct above. Add device_1 to trust domain from device_2, wait a few minutes, then add device_2 from device_1.

/var/log/ltm can be helpful. This solution covers everything related to device group troubleshooting if you want to become well versed on the topic.

http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/13000/900/sol13946.html?sr=33650106