Forum Discussion

pete_71470
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
Mar 07, 2014
Solved

How is the F5 -> node path mantained for nPath server side connections?

We're running 11.2.1HF3 with a bunch of virtual servers configured with their pools for nPath. It works well except for one virtual where autolasthop was mistakenly disabled; the traffic flowed as expected except during failovers - then it fell down (firewall in front of node dropped return traffic as out-of-state). Turning autolasthop back on made traffic flow again during failover.

When the node returns traffic to the client via its router, and later comes back from the client to the VIP as part of a normal TCP conversation, the F5 is able to forward the traffic back to the same node even though the connection table lists ServerSide IP as the vip (instead of the node as with SNAT or AutoMap).

I'm suspecting the F5 -> node flows continue until FIN because the F5 makes use of the autolasthop database to find its way back to the node chosen during load balancing. Does that sound right? Is there a way to inspect the autolasthop database?

Thanks in advance!

• Auto last hop is used to return traffic to the requesting client (if enabled on the virtual server), but not to the back-end node/pool member. The device's routing table is used for that.

No way that I'm aware of to view the auto last hop table.

2 Replies

• Auto last hop is used to return traffic to the requesting client (if enabled on the virtual server), but not to the back-end node/pool member. The device's routing table is used for that.

No way that I'm aware of to view the auto last hop table.

• Thank you, Cory. I had read that autolasthop data got stashed at SYN-time but thought perhaps it was leveraged for future logic.

Thank you for the quick response.