Forum Discussion

Venu_Aluri_1427
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 07, 2014
Solved

Get list of load balancers

Hi, I am new to F5 and iControl SDK. Can you please guide me where to look if I want to list all the load balancers and their status?

Thanks, Venu

• F5 provides two separate products that do what you're seeking: Enterprise Manager and BIG-IQ. They are detailed here:

With both products, you can also automate and simplify management of BIG-IP systems.

Having said that, you can definitely extract state information from BIG-IP systems using iControl. Indeed, that is how EM and BIG-IQ do so. To direct you to the right part of the iControl API, can you describe what "status" you're looking for? Do you want to know the status of the LTM Virtual Servers (the traffic listeners), of the pool members (the servers to which traffic is directed), or something else? Also, which version of the BIG-IP code are you using?

8 Replies

• F5 provides two separate products that do what you're seeking: Enterprise Manager and BIG-IQ. They are detailed here:

With both products, you can also automate and simplify management of BIG-IP systems.

Having said that, you can definitely extract state information from BIG-IP systems using iControl. Indeed, that is how EM and BIG-IQ do so. To direct you to the right part of the iControl API, can you describe what "status" you're looking for? Do you want to know the status of the LTM Virtual Servers (the traffic listeners), of the pool members (the servers to which traffic is directed), or something else? Also, which version of the BIG-IP code are you using?

Joe_Pruitt
      iControl is an API for the BIG-IP (hardware loadbalancer). You can use the various APIs to determine the health of a BIG-IP, but you would need to know it's address to be able to get to it first. Products like Enterprise Manager and BIG-IQ are API clients that you would configure to point to your devices and they can do the monitoring for you. Not sure if that's what you are getting at or not. One other approach would be if you use GTM and have it monitoring your LTMs, then you could use the various interfaces against the GTM to determine the list of servers (BIG-IPs) and their status.
      Venu_Aluri_1427
      I want to get the list and the status of hardware loadbalancers using iControl SDK. Please let me know some directions. thanks
    Vernon_97235
    Historic F5 Account

F5 provides two separate products that do what you're seeking: Enterprise Manager and BIG-IQ. They are detailed here:

Joe_Pruitt
      iControl is an API for the BIG-IP (hardware loadbalancer). You can use the various APIs to determine the health of a BIG-IP, but you would need to know it's address to be able to get to it first. Products like Enterprise Manager and BIG-IQ are API clients that you would configure to point to your devices and they can do the monitoring for you. Not sure if that's what you are getting at or not. One other approach would be if you use GTM and have it monitoring your LTMs, then you could use the various interfaces against the GTM to determine the list of servers (BIG-IPs) and their status.
      Venu_Aluri_1427
      I want to get the list and the status of hardware loadbalancers using iControl SDK. Please let me know some directions. thanks