Forum Discussion

quangtran
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Jun 14, 2023
Solved

Enable module Provisioning Resources with HA cluster

Hi,

We have F5 i2000 (v15.1) running in HA (Active/Standby) cluster. I want to enable modules such as AVR and APM without causing any disruptions to the running services. Can I activate them on the standby device first and then switch to the active device? Will this have any impact on the services? Thank you.

• Hello,

This is the optimum procedure for provisioning a module, the only interruption will be during the failover only and might affect the active connections only, and you can ensure you are configuring mirroring settings in the device settings, to have the least interruption during the failover.

Then, you can test the services on standby and follow the same on the active one. And make sure that the resources will be fine after provisioning the new modules. You can check the performance graphs.

Thanks,

Salah

3 Replies

• Hello,

This is the optimum procedure for provisioning a module, the only interruption will be during the failover only and might affect the active connections only, and you can ensure you are configuring mirroring settings in the device settings, to have the least interruption during the failover.

Then, you can test the services on standby and follow the same on the active one. And make sure that the resources will be fine after provisioning the new modules. You can check the performance graphs.

Thanks,

Salah

• Hi quangtran , 
    Yes this will impact your data traffic due to restart some processes , you have to perform it in a maintenance window. 

This Article Proves that : https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K12111

I have tested this for you in my lab >> I have 2 nodes Active/Standby. 
    So the Plan of Action (PoA) : 
    1) provision APM and AVR modules on Standby appliance.
    Note ( you will see the status of HA "Disconnected" During provisioning , it's expected to see that as in module provisioning some of Bigip processes restarts , After a while " Disconnected" status will disappear to changes pending , after that when the standby node become up again and you can navigate it's tabs >>> go to step 2.

2) Trigger a failover event from the Current Active to the newly provisioned ( APM and AVR ) standby unit.
    3) make sure it process traffic well , by navigating your Virtual server statistics and pools , you should see traffic passing through it.
    4) repeat Step one again in the previous Active node ( Standby now ).
    you will see the same behavior ( Disconnected and after that changes pending ). 
    5) After finishing and can navigate the Node tabs , you can failover again to back to the original scenario of ( Active and standby ) devices.
    6) Test Traffic in the Active unit and Sync configuration again if their are Changes pending. 

I hope this helps you 🙂 

• quangtran - If your post was solved it would be helpful to the community to select *Accept As Solution* (you may choose more than one).
    This helps future readers find answers more quickly and confirms the efforts of those who helped.
    Thanks for being part of our community.
    Lief