Forum Discussion

h0nky_138234
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 21, 2013

APM - Provide file at access policy logon page stored on the APM

Hello community,

I have to add a download link (help file; .pdf format) to a custom logon page. I could of course place this file on a web server but I'd like to store the file directly on the APM. I've found something about "Hosted content" (http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_apm/manuals/product/apm-hosted-content-implementations-11-4-0/1.html) but I really don't know if this is what fits my need and second...we run 11.3 at the moment.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Best regards, h0nky

8 Replies

Jason_Rowland_4
    Historic F5 Account

Updated instructions for adding a link on the Logon Page to a file hosted on the APM:

1) Create the desired file.

2) Navigate to "Access Policy ›› Hosted Content : Manage Files"

3) Upload the file with Secure Level: "public"

4) Navigate to "Access Policy ›› Hosted Content : Manage Profile Access" (click the ▾ next to "Upload" and select "Manage Access").

5) Place a "check" next to each Access Policy that will be accessing the file, then click [ OK ]

6) Open the Visual Policy Editor (VPE) for the Access Policy and edit the Logon Page action

7) Add a hyperlink similar to the following to the "Form Header Text":

😎 Save the update to the Logon Page

9) Apply the Access Policy

10) Test to see if the desired content is displayed/downloaded when clicking the Hyperlink on the Access Policy Logon Page.

========

To modify the "Secure Level" of a file already present in the Hosted Content list:

a) Navigate to "Access Policy ›› Hosted Content : Manage Files"

b) Place a "check" next to the desired file

c) Click [Edit]

d) In the new window, set the desired "Secure Level"

e) Click [OK]

========

More information on the different "Secure Level" options can be found here:

https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_apm/manuals/product/apm-client-configuration-11-6-0/11.html

AK_Agudah_13317
    Historic F5 Account

You can also use a webtop link to allow users display/download the configured hosted content. Once you have configured your hosted content as described above, you can:

-On the Main tab, click Access Policy > Webtops > Webtop Links.

-Click Create to create a new webtop link.

-In the Name field, type a name for the new webtop link.

-From the Link Type list, select Hosted Content.

-From the Hosted File link, select your hosted content file.

-Click Finished.

-Test to see if the desired content is displayed/downloaded

Jason_Rowland_4
    Historic F5 Account

I used the following steps to host a file on the APM, then add a link to the file from the Logon Page:

1) Create the desired file.

2) Navigate to "Access Policy ›› Hosted Content : Manage Files"

3) Upload the file with Secure Level: "public"

4) Navigate to "Access Policy ›› Hosted Content : Manage Profile Access", ensure the Access Policy is "checked" then click on [ OK ]

5) Open the Visual Policy Editor (VPE) for the Access Policy and edit the Logon Page action

6) Add a hyperlink similar to the following to the "Form Header Text":

7) Save the update to the Logon Page

8) Apply the Access Policy

9) Test to see if the desired content is displayed/downloaded when clicking the Hyperlink on the Access Policy Logon Page.

Jason_Rowland_4
      Historic F5 Account
      Gilles, The "Access Policy >> Hosted Content : Manage Files" page in the Configuration Utility includes a column titled "Publicly Accessible URI". This URI, plus the URL to reach the Access Policy Virtual Server, should enable you to access the file. For example: https://host.domain.com/public/share/file.txt would return the APM Hosted Content, as long as "file.txt" has Secure Level == public, and the file is associated (in "Manage Access") with the Access Policy on the host.domain.com virtual server.
      Gilles_Archer_3
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
      Hi Jason, If I understand correctly, the above steps will publish a file on the APM logon page and allow an unauthenticated user to download that file. What would be the URI of the file if a link needed to be published in an email or corporate website?
  • hi, did someone figure out how to link a locally stored file to login page as i need to provide users help document with hyperlink with Help button on login page.

Many Thanks, Suresh

tiny_cloud_ninj
    Historic F5 Account

H0nky, Your requirement fits the purpose of Hosted Content. A customized login page could reference APM Hosted Content URI. I see may people host User Agents like Vmware View and Cirtix ICA directly from the APM.