Forum Discussion

Moonlit
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Jul 15, 2024

Any way to do DNS loadbalancing without BIG-IP DNS module?

Hi, In our environment we have a number of domain controllers which act as DNS servers for everything internally. Now, we have one specific type of client that is only able to be configured with ...
    Moonlit
    Jul 17, 2024

So yes, there was a L3 problem - which was that I chose the wrong interface on the BIG-IP VE to monitor traffic. Turned out the monitor packets were sent on the management interface because of a routing thing I just happened to remember.

Anyway: PROBLEM SOLVED. In order to monitor a DNS server by sending a query and checking for a correct response, I did it the hard way by hand-crafting the packets sent to replicate the bytestring as seen when doing a manual DNS lookup, through dumping the packet.

In the "Send string" field you can enter individual bytes by prefixing the hex value with "\x", so I copied the DNS header (including transaction id, query number etc) plus the actual query, converted it to \x format and put it in the Send string field.
    In the Receive string field I entered just the ASCII IP address which I knew the correct query would result in if the server is healthy.