Forum Discussion

wlopez
Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
Feb 07, 2020

iRule for combination of FQDN pool member and route domains

I'm trying to configure an FQDN pool member for consuming a web service.

The FQDN changes it's IP addreses resolution periodically.

I configured the pool member inside its non-default Partition and Route Domain.

That means the pool member is not in the default 'Common' partition and not in the default route domain '0'.

As soon as I created the FQDN pool member, I noticed that the dynamically created node, created as a result of the FQDN resolution IP, was assigned the default route domain '0'.

I opened a case with support to get some clarification on this and got the following response:

"Unfortunately, Route domains are not supported with fqdn.

We have logged in a Request For Enhancement, this, however, has no release date as of yet.

522465 RFE: Route domain support for FQDN nodes

The most I can offer you is to request that this service request be added to that RFE. This will let our product development team that another customer is requesting this.

Please let me know if you are interested in this."

After doing some research I found the following iRules on Codeshare:

https://devcentral.f5.com/s/articles/dynamic-ephemeral-node-fqdn-resolution-with-route-domains-with-dns-caching-irule-1148

https://devcentral.f5.com/s/question/0D51T00006j3E1I/fqdn-node-with-route-domains

I've tried both iRules on versions 12.1.2 and 14.1.2, but am getting different TCL errors.

Has anyone been able to get the combination of FQDN pool members with a non-default route domain?

4 Replies

wlopez

Thanks for the reply.

The setting for the partition default route domain, on the non-default partition and route domain is in place and working fine for every other feature.

As I explained in my question, I opened a case with support and they quickly answered that using FQDN with route domains is not yet supported.

It seems like many users have requested support for it, as my support request was added to many others under an official Request For Enhancement, 522465 RFE: Route domain support for FQDN nodes.

Thus, I am looking for a way to get it to work with an iRule.

wlopez

It's been over 3 years and several major release versions, but I haven't heard of any updates on the RFE.

There used to be a support page where you could search for RFE numbers, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Never found a working iRule either.

• Hi,

As per you mention "As soon as I created the FQDN pool member, I noticed that the dynamically created node, created as a result of the FQDN resolution IP, was assigned the default route domain '0'."

From my experience with route domain + partition and refer from F5 article =>

https://techdocs.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_ltm/manuals/product/tmos-routing-administration-11-6-0/8.html

When you configure partition. You can set default route domain for each partitions.

====================================================================================

From the Partition Default Route Domain list, select either Another route domain (0) is the Partition Default Route Domain or Make this route domain the Partition Default Route Domain. This setting does not appear if the current administrative partition is partition Common. When you configure this setting, either route domain 0 or this route domain becomes the default route domain for the current administrative partition.

====================================================================================

When you create any object in partition e.g. virtual address, selfip, pool member, node. F5 will applied all those object to partitiion default route domain that is not the common.

If you configure F5 with above setting. You will not face issue as you explianation.

• Im wondering if there has been any progress on 522465 RFE: Route domain support for FQDN nodes.

There may be workarounds but I prefer to do it the normal way, this used to be available in older versions so presume it shouldnt be too hard to add it back.