Forum Discussion

IT_Support_5777
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 08, 2007

FTP set up through LTM

I am unable to find any information concerning setup of the LTM to LB both active and passive FTP.

Does anyone have any documentation regarding this, pleas?

Thank you.

7 Replies

Deb_Allen_18
    Historic F5 Account
    https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_ltm/manuals/product/bigip9_0config/ConfigGuide9_0-07-1.html?sr=1

(Click here)
  • Thank you for the link, although this doesn't illustrate how to set this up. the problem I am having is that I can use passive FTP and I have no issues connecting and sending data through the LTM. Active does not work though. I am using the default FTP profile that seems to account for port 20 activity.

does the LTM not make the request to the FTP server on port 20?

Deb_Allen_18
    Historic F5 Account
    Client contacts LTM on port 21, LTM forwards to server on LB port, server contacts client to est data connection on port 20.

All you should need to do is attach an ftp profile to the virtual server for LTM to manage the data callback connection appropriately.

/d
  • yeah, it is brutal though and IIRC, it led me to believe that active connections are better handled another way, through static NAT on my router/firewall.

I don't recall the exact answer, but it was something we decided not to implement. Sorry, I wish I was more help.

TK

• similar/same issue here. i have a checkpoint firewall. seems that this works fine as long as the F5 and ftp servers are 'inside' the firewall but as soon as i try to pass through the firewall it doesn't go too well.

F5 -> firewall -> ftp server

or i can also try:

F5 -> firewall -> F5 -> ftp server

FTP session will open through the command channel, but cannot go active or passive for data transfers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hoping to support both active and passive but would be happy with passive.

Brad