On Badges

Hello DevCentral Community.

Today I am launching our main community badge schema. 📛
I have been sitting on this for a while waiting  - I can wait no longer. I hope this is a fun way for you to see what you have been up to on DevCentral, for others to see how many places you've been on DevCentral, and for us all to be digitally recognized for just how much we are helping each other; everyday.

You can see badges you have earned by navigating to your own My Profile.

At launch (today) - I have set the default email notification to be in a daily-digest. Tomorrow (July 19) I will set the notification back to immediately so you may be notified about badges as you earn them. Many are earned as you engage on the site but some can be earned while you are away.

If you want to change the default you can do so in My Settings > Subscriptions & Notifications > Notification Settings. (linked for convenience)

Some details.
The badges follow a basic pattern with 8 achievement levels for each category. Levels 1 and 2 are visible whether you have achieved them or not, for each of the 10 initial categories. Each category has a different measure. For example, the count of comments to achieve level 4 (Comment-licious) will be different from the count of Kudos given to achieve level 4 (Kudo-licious) and the higher the level, in each category, the harder "the bosses" get. 😄

A very few members, notably JRahm, PSilva, and a few MVP's (who have been around and very active for many years) have reached level 7 or 8 in just a couple of categories but, for the most part, levels 5, 6, 7, and 8 are still wide open. There for the taking.

Enjoy, have fun, and the last thing I'll say is I'm not done with badges; special badges, one-offs, and maybe even a whole new category (or three) will come later.

Thanks for being part of our community.
Lief

* "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

Updated Jul 19, 2022
Version 2.0

Was this article helpful?

11 Comments