Does anyone know how to use a REST command to create a password protected key? I tried the following, but it gave me the error:
{"code":400,"message":"\"passphrase\" may not be specified in the context of the \"create\" command. \"passphrase\" may be specified using the following commands: install","errorStack":[],"apiError":26214401}
Hi @Wyko , I could be off-base, but I don’t think you can create the key this way. I believe you need to create the key from command line, either locally on a box and upload it to BIG-IP, or create it on command line on BIG-IP itself. Once that step is done, then you can create the file reference to that key with the REST methods.
That said, I would not recommend using the /tm/sys/crypto/key method, as the /tm/sys/crypto methods have been deprecated for a while, but rather the /tm/sys/file/ssl-key method instead. When using the latter method, you’ll want to define sourcePath attribute like “file:///var/config/rest/downloads/my.key” or whereever you uploaded/created the key. So the data that you would POST to /tm/sys/file/ssl-key would look something like (using the bigrest python iControl REST wrapper here):
the /tm/sys/crypto methods have been deprecated for a while, but rather the /tm/sys/file/ssl-key method instead.
I’m struggling to believe this, can you tell me where this depreciation is documented? The /tm/sys/file/ssl-key method seems to not actually allow the generation of a key withing the F5, it only allows one to be imported from elsewhere. If I try to create new by just specifying a name and key size, I get
"code": 400,
"message": "source-path is required.",
"errorStack": [],
"apiError": 26214401
They sorta work in some scenarios, but when I was working on the imperative sdk years ago I was told to focus on the file commands as the crypto ones were deprecated. Also having a hard time finding that documented anywhere. I’m poking around on this, will let you know if I turn anything up.