So, I found myself in a little bit of a quandary with the use AS3 declarations to deploy our F5 configurations for our services.
So to create a virtual server with SSL certificate and profiles, and the nine-yards, you need to have as part of your AS3 declaration: SSL certificate (key and cert), that populate the profile, that then populates the profile section within the virtual server.
So far so good…
Now, the certificate has a TTL (if you will), and needs to be renewed.
In the past, I had a Python script that goes through the F5 using REST API to find expiring certificates and get new certs and updates the configuration. That worked just fine, and I have adapted that to be used on our new F5s using partitions/tenants, and it works.
Unfortunately is also breaks the one source of truth (AS3), so if I go make a change to an AS3 declaration to make pool member or other configuration changes, and I then redeploy the AS3 declaration, then the OLD certificate if put back into play (which could be expired) and the service goes down. Has not happened yet, because this FUBAR situation popped into my head.
..and that is my quandary…
How do I redeploy configurations and have it ignore the certificate and profile stanzas in AS3 declaration - so it does not redeploy an old and possibly expired certificate?
One may think .. well update the declaration with the updated certificate. Not as easy as one may think. I would have to do this for any declaration that I want to modify, not a easy task.. log-into the F5, fetch the new PEMdata for the certificate and key, update the declaration, and then deploy it. In some AS3 declarations, I am defining multiple environments for a service, and there might be up to 5 different certificate/key pairs that I would need to update prior to redeploying .. ugh!
I am in a pickle. Thoughts?
The only solution that I have been able to conjure up in my head is additional automation and scripting that would automatically update the AS3 declarations when a certificate is renewed, which makes sense .. just have no idea how to go about this just yet.
Hoping there are other alternatives?!