Embracing AS3: Foundations

(updated to remove the event-nature of this post)

Last fall, a host of teams took to the road to support the launch of BIG-IP Next in the form of F5 Academy roadshows, where we shared the BIG-IP story: where we started, where we are, and where we're going with it; complete with hands-on LTM and WAF labs with the attendees. For this spring's roadshows, we added SSLO and Access labs. Across the fall and spring legs, I attended in person in Kansas City (twice!), St. Louis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Omaha, and (soon) Chicago and talked with customers at all stages of the automation journey. Some haven't automated much of anything. Some have been using a variety of on-/off-box scripts, and some are all-in, baby! 

That said, when I ask about AS3 as a tool in their tool belt, not that many have adopted or even investigated it yet. For classic BIG-IP AS3 is not a requirement, but in BIG-IP Next, AS3 is a critical component as it's THE underlying configuration language for all applications. Because of this, I did a five-part live stream series in December to get you started with AS3. Details below.

Beyond Imperatives—What the heck is AS3?

In this first episode, I covered the history of automation on BIG-IP, the differences between imperative and declarative models, and the basics of AS3 from data structure and systems architecture perspectives.

Top 10 Features to Know in the VSCode F5 Extension

Special guest and friend of the show Ben Novak, author of the F5 Extension for VSCode, joined me to dig into the features most important to know and learn to use for understanding how to take stock BIG-IP configurations and turn applications into declarations.

Migrating and Deploying Applications in VSCode

In this episode, armed with the knowledge I learned from Ben in the last episode, I dug into the brass tacks of AS3! I reviewed diagnostics and migrated applications from standard configuration to AS3 declarations and deployed as well. For migrating active workloads, I discussed the steps necessary to reduce transition impact.

Creating New Apps and Using Shared Objects

I've always tried to alter existing things before creating new things with tech, and this is no different. Now that I had a few migrations under my belt, I attacked a net-new application and looked at shared objects and how and when to use them.

Best Practices

Finally, I closed this series with a look at several best practices when working with AS3. The conclusion to this series, though, is hopefully just the stepping off point for everyone new to AS3, and we can continue the conversation right here on DevCentral.

Updated Jun 05, 2024
Version 6.0

Was this article helpful?

No CommentsBe the first to comment