Forum Discussion

Jun 27, 2019
Solved

Consequences of Not Syncing ASM's datasync-global-dg?

Evening team,   I have several scenarios in which my device trust spans multiple sites in order to service sync-only device-groups that are used to sync ASM policy. That being said, syncing the d...
    Nathan_F__F5_
    Jul 01, 2019

My pleasure. I was actually able to discuss this with a colleague and provide a bit more information to hopefully answer your question. Basically, datasync-global-dg is used to keep the JS generated on each device compatible with each other. It's not a direct sync of JS, but of other meta data needed to ensure that in the event of a failover, the traffic to the newly active unit isn't blocked due to incompatible ASM/Adv. WAF JS from the previously active unit. If this device group is not in sync, the meta data will not sync, and Attack Signature Updates or Live Updates for the JS-engine will not be fully applied until it goes back into sync.

In short, while the group is out of sync, the necessary meta data will not be updated on either device. This is because the live updates must be installed at the same time on all of the CMI devices. Otherwise, users may get falsely blocked when traffic is shared between the devices. On top of that, since the group is currently out of sync there is a chance that if you were to fail over that users might trigger false positives on the peer that they weren't triggering on the currently Active unit.

Hopefully this helps to answer your main question regarding the potential consequences of not syncing that group.