Forum Discussion

SYF5
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 18, 2023

Connection count and Requests count are same for one of the pool members

Hello Team,

I have LTM pool of 8 members with Round Robin algorithm.

Customer complained that one particular pool member is receiving very less traffic when compared.

When i checked the pool statistics, i noticed that "Total number of connections" and "requests" count are same in the pool statistics. For the rest of the pool members, requests count is much more than the connections count.

All the 8 pool members are configured in the same way with the same web application.

What could be the reason for this (I suspect it could be an issue with HTTP pipelining) and how to troubleshoot this? 

JRahm 

Thanks in advance!!

6 Replies

• hi

Can you check pool member statistics packet in/out?

I think in addition to the pipeline the amount of traffic may vary depending on the type of http content, data size, etc.

SYF5

It is the same content that is being delivered by all 8 pool members. 

This issue is being observed since more than 3 months.

We have taken the packet capture on LTM and on the problem server and it looks like the server is serving only one HTTP request per TCP connection. I will ask the dev team to look at the logs of all the servers and compare the requests/connections.

Hooni_L
        Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

Are pool member Packet in/out the same across pool members?

• SYF5 Multiple configuration options could have this result. The biggest one here is each connection or user are most likely using the website differently. I would honestly only look at total number of connections per pool member and if they aren't relatively similar in connection amount, this is assuming they all have the same uptime, I wouldn't really worry about it too much. I believe the better option here would be to have a look at each server and the site that is served out for that VIP and pull statistics that way because it will give you a much better picture on how the website is used on a per user basis if you have those types of statistics enabled and collected. Yes sometimes total connections will equal requests but not always.

SYF5

It is the same content that is being delivered by all 8 pool members. 

They all have the same uptime. We have reset the statistics several times and checked but this particular server has connection count == request count.

This issue is being observed since more than 3 months.

We have taken the packet capture on LTM and on the problem server and it looks like the server is serving only one HTTP request per TCP connection. I will ask the dev team to look at the logs of all the servers and compare the requests/connections.