Is IoT Hype For Real?

It is only fitting that the 20th anniversary of the Gartner Hype Cycle has the Internet of Things right at the top of the coaster. IoT is currently at the peak of Inflated Expectations. The Gartner Hype Cycle give organizations an assessment of the maturity, business benefit and future direction of more than 2,000 technologies. The theme for this year's Emerging Technologies Hype Cycle is Digital Business.

As you can see, being at the top really means that there is a ton of media coverage about the technology, so much so that it starts to get a little silly. Everyone is talking about it, including this author. What you can also so is the downward trend to follow. This is the trough of disillusionment. Gamification, Mobile Health Monitoring and Big Data all fall into this area. It means that they already hit their big hype point but doesn't necessarily mean that it's over. The slope of enlightenment shows technologies that are finally mature enough to actually have reasonable expectations about. Each of the technologies also have a time line of when it'll mature. For IoT, it looks like 5 to 10 years. So while we're hearing all the noise about IoT now, society probably won't be fully immersed for another decade...even though we'll see gradual steps toward it over the next few years.

Once all our people, places and things are connected, you can also get a sense of what else is coming in the Innovation Trigger area. Come the 2025 time frame, things like Smart Robots, Human Augmentation and a Brain Computer Interface could be the headlines of the day. Just imagine, instead of having to type this blog out on a keyboard, I could simply (and wirelessly) connect my brain chip to the computer and just think this.

Hey, Stop reading my mind!!

ps

Related:

Published Aug 19, 2014
Version 1.0

Was this article helpful?

No CommentsBe the first to comment