Setup iControlSnapin

I downloaded the powershell msi from this forumns download folder and follwed the steps on the tutorial to get it registered and I get the following error..

Assistance would be appreciated.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> . .\setupSnapIn.ps1

Registering iControlSnapIn…

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.4927

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The installation failed, and the rollback has been performed.

Remove-Item : Cannot find path ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn\iControlSnapIn.InstallLog’ because it

does not exist.

At C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn\setupSnapIn.ps1:8 char:5

+ del <<<< iControlSnapIn.InstallLog

+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File…apIn.InstallLog:String) [Remove-Item], ItemNotFoundEx

ception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand

Remove-Item : Cannot find path ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn\iControlSnapIn.InstallState’ because

it does not exist.

At C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn\setupSnapIn.ps1:9 char:5

+ del <<<< iControlSnapIn.InstallState

+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File…In.InstallState:String) [Remove-Item], ItemNotFoundEx

ception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand

Ok got this far but still having issues:

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> .\setupSnapIn.ps1

Registering iControlSnapIn…

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.4927

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> powershell -psconsolefile .\iControlSnapIn.psc1

WARNING: The following errors occurred when loading console C:\Program Files (x86)\F5

Networks\iControlSnapIn\iControlSnapIn.psc1:

Cannot load Windows PowerShell snap-in iControlSnapIn because of the following error: The Windows PowerShell snap-in

‘iControlSnapIn’ is not installed on this machine.

Windows PowerShell

Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Are you by chance running on a 64-bit platform. Give this updated script a shot. I’m still getting feedback on it before I roll it into the primary distribution so let me know if it works for you.

http://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/default.aspx/iControl/PowerShellSetupSnapin.html

-Joe

I’m running 64-bit Win7 and here are the errors I’m getting after running the updated script you provided -

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> .\setup.ps1

Registering iControlSnapin.dll on platform ‘’

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.4927

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Registering iControlSnapin.dll on platform ‘64’

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.4927

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> get-pssnapin -registered

Name : iControlSnapIn PSVersion : 2.0 Description : iControl Snap-in for F5 Device Management

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> add-pssnapin -icontrolsnapin

Add-PSSnapin : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name ‘icontrolsnapin’. At line:1 char:29 + add-pssnapin -icontrolsnapin <<<< + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: ([Add-PSSnapin], ParameterBindingException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddPSSnapinCommand

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> get-icontrolcommands

The term ‘get-icontrolcommands’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. At line:1 char:21 + get-icontrolcommands <<<< + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (get-icontrolcommands:String) [], CommandNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

A couple of things. Looks like you got the install to complete. The problem is your add-pssnapin call. You are using the name of the snapin as the parameter name, not the parameter value. That’s indicated by the “parameter cannot be found” error. The correct syntax is

PS> Add-PSSnapin -Name iControlSnapin

And the second issue is the get cmdlet is missing the “F5.” namespace in it. I think there’s some documentation I need to update but in the mean time, you can get the associated iControl cmdlets with the “Get-F5.iControlCommands” cmdlet. You can also use “Get-Command *F5*”.

Take a look at the numerous tech tips and codeshare entries I’ve written around PowerShell to get you started.

Hope this helps!

-Joe

Yup that helped immensely. I’m new to PS so I was just following the syntax on the Readme.txt file that came with the icontrol download. The instructions on them are not correct.

Thank you.

Rob

I second that, the instructions in the readme.txt say:

Add-PSSnapIn -iControlSnapIn

Should be:

Add-PSSnapIn -Name iControlSnapIn

Also in the readme this: Get-iControlCommands

Should be:

Get-F5.iControlCommands

Thanks!

-Rezilient

Does anybody have experience with Powershell 2?

I am getting this error:

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> .\setupSnapIn.ps1

Registering iControlSnapIn…

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.4927

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> Add-PSSnapin -Name iControlSnapin

Add-PSSnapin : No snap-ins have been registered for Windows PowerShell version 2.

At line:1 char:13

+ Add-PSSnapin <<<< -Name iControlSnapin

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (iControlSnapin:String) [Add-PSSnapin], PSArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : AddPSSnapInRead,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddPSSnapinCommand

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> Get-ItemProperty

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn> powershell -psconsolefile .\iControlSnapIn.psc1

WARNING: The following errors occurred when loading console C:\Program Files (x86)\F5

Networks\iControlSnapIn\iControlSnapIn.psc1:

Cannot load Windows PowerShell snap-in iControlSnapIn because of the following error: No snap-ins have been registered

for Windows PowerShell version 2.

Windows PowerShell

Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

OK. Answer is here DevCentral - An F5 Technical Community

If you have performed the instructions as suggested in the here: https://guptaashish.com/tag/powershell/

and if you still find the above error.

The most likely cause would be the permission to the below registry path to your current account. You will need to provide full control to the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns .

Upon having full control, then re run the setupSnapIn.ps1 and you should be all set to proceed further.