Bolt-on Auth with NGINX Plus and F5 Distributed Cloud

Inarguably, we are well into the age wherein the user interface for a typical web application has shifted from server-generated markup to APIs as the preferred point of interaction. As developers, we are presented with a veritable cornucopia of tools, frameworks, and standards to aid us in the development of these APIs and the services behind them.

What about securing these APIs? Now more than ever, attackers have focused their efforts on abusing APIs to exfiltrate data or compromise systems at an increasingly alarming rate. In fact, a large portion of the 2023 OWASP Top 10 API Security Risks list items are caused by a lack of (or insufficient) authentication and authorization. How can we provide protection for existing APIs to prevent unauthorized access? What if my APIs have already been developed without considering access control? What are my options now?

Enter the use of a proxy to provide security services. Solutions such as F5 NGINX Plus can easily be configured to provide authorization and auditing for your APIs - irrespective of where they are deployed. For instance, you can enable OpenID Connect (OIDC) on NGINX Plus to provide authentication and authorization for your applications (including APIs) without having to change a single line of code.

In this article, we will present an existing application with an API deployed in an F5 Distributed Cloud cluster. This application lacks authentication and authorization features. The app we will be using is the Sentence demo app, deployed into a Kubernetes cluster on Distributed Cloud. The Kubernetes cluster we will be using in this walkthrough is a Distributed Cloud Virtual Kubernetes (vk8s) instance deployed to host application services in more than one Regional Edge site. Why? An immediate benefit is that as a developer, I don’t have to be concerned with managing my own Kubernetes cluster. We will use automation to declaratively configure a virtual Kubernetes cluster and deploy our application to it in a matter of seconds!

Once the Sentence demo app is up and running, we will deploy NGINX Plus into another vk8s cluster for the purpose of providing authorization services. What about authentication? We will walk through configuring Microsoft Entra ID (formerly Azure Active Directory) as the identity provider for our application, and then configure NGINX Plus to act as an OIDC Relying Party to provide security services for the deployed API.

Finally, we will make use of Distributed Cloud HTTP load balancers. We will provision one publicly available load balancer that will securely route traffic to the NGINX Plus authorization server. We will then provision an additional Load Balancer to provide application routing services to the Sentence app. This second load balancer differs from the first in that it is only “advertised” (and therefore only reachable) from services inside the namespace. This results in a configuration that makes it impossible for users to bypass the NGINX authorization server in an attempt to directly consume the Sentence app.

The following is a diagram representing what will be deployed:

Solution deployment diagram
Let’s get to it!

Deployment Steps

The detailed steps to deploy this solution are located in a GitHub repository accompanying this article. Follow the steps here, and be sure to come back to this article for the wrap-up!

Conclusion

You did it! With the power and reach of Distributed Cloud combined with the security that NGINX Plus provides, we have been able to easily provide authorization for our example API-based application.

Where could we go from here? Do you remember we deployed these applications to two specific geographical sites? You could very easily extend the reach of this solution to more regions (distributed globally) to provide reliability and low-latency experiences for the end users of this application. Additionally, you can easily attach Distributed Cloud’s award-winning DDoS mitigation, WAF, and Bot mitigation to further protect your applications from attacks and fraudulent activity.

Thanks for taking this journey with me, and I welcome your comments below.

Acknowledgments

This article wouldn’t have been the same without the efforts of Fouad_Chmainy, Matt_Dierick, and Alexis Da Costa. They are the original authors of the distributed design, the Sentence app, and the NGINX Plus OIDC image optimized for Distributed Cloud. Additionally, special thanks to Cody_Green and Kevin_Reynolds for inspiration and assistance in the Terraform portion of the solution. Thanks, guys!

Published Sep 22, 2023
Version 1.0

Was this article helpful?