Forum Discussion

Zhinjio_101470
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jun 07, 2011

Proxy error on long queries

We have an F5 that sits in front of a pool of application servers running a jboss instance and app.

Persistence is done on jsessionid via iRule.

The app ultimately queries against a larger db. With the F5 in place and managing the connections, if I execute a long-running query in the application that exceeds around 20000 records, after roughly 5 minutes, I eventually get back:

Proxy Error

The proxy server has received an invalid response from an upstream server.

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /my/path/to/QueryContainer.html

Reason: Error reading from remote server.

If we remove the F5, and just point the client directly to the jboss server, no error occurs.

I've played with nearly every timeout value I could find. I'm running out ideas on what might be causing this. Please me know if you would like any additional information that I can gather (and if its suitably arcane, the method for gathering those items as well.

Much appreciated,

- Mark Breitenbach

2 Replies

• Hi Mark,

I'd start with this SOL:

sol7606: Overview of BIG-IP idle session timeouts

http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/7000/600/sol7606.html

If you're still stuck, you could open a case with F5 Support and ask them to help review your config to find the source of the time out.

Aaron
  • That SOL confirmed my own understanding of the way timeouts work. Thank you. I've opened a ticket.